• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tough sport sometimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bazx

i spend a year building a cascade then put up a shed to bench in,get all the hardwear ready, strap a pot to a 8800 gtx ,fill it with ln2

second run 3d06

eva 680i/[email protected] -106 loaded card at 750/1100 -80

halfway thro small puff of smoke from in front of the power chips on the m/b lights go out

benching over

one gutted fat man

Sorry about that. :cry:

If it makes you feel any better, I had 3 P5W DH's lined up for a benching session this past December, knowing how easily I kill em, I was figuring strength in numbers would give me a better chance. I was wrong. Killed all of them within 2 days.

At this point I've gotten pretty used to a good 60% of benching hardware at least dying. But I think its very important to move on when something dies and do your best to learn from the mistake so as to not repeat it again.

It's one hell of a recklessly expensive mentality...but I would say don't give up...which means shelling out for another board. :-/

Gautam said:
Sorry about that. :cry:

If it makes you feel any better, I had 3 P5W DH's lined up for a benching session this past December, knowing how easily I kill em, I was figuring strength in numbers would give me a better chance. I was wrong. Killed all of them within 2 days.

At this point I've gotten pretty used to a good 60% of benching hardware at least dying. But I think its very important to move on when something dies and do your best to learn from the mistake so as to not repeat it again.

It's one hell of a recklessly expensive mentality...but I would say don't give up...which means shelling out for another board. :-/

thanks Gautam

i was so enjoying it too every thing was working great

now tho i need to find a cheap ish m/b to get by as want the dfi 680 when it comes

as i need to do something with the ln2

so it blew a fet?

errrr.. how in the world were you suppose to prevent that :mad:

PSU?

anyway.. hope the next one is more stought.

greenmaji said:
so it blew a fet?

errrr.. how in the world were you suppose to prevent that :mad:

PSU?

anyway.. hope the next one is more stought.

not sure which chip it is

its around an 1/8 sq and was as dry as a bone:confused:

been looking at the commando as a gap filler an thoughts

You got a lot of choices with that CPU. The unlocked multis make things much easier. :p

Commando looks pretty good. Check out what before is doing with his cascade on a Biostar TForce for example. This board only costs about 100 USD.

But my general suggestion would be to check out classfieds to find something good in the price range. Since you've got a Kentsfield, i965 will probably be the best choice, as you'll be able to break 400MHz FSB fairly easily. i975 would be ok, but you'd need to live with lower FSB. 680i...only for SLi IMHO, otherwise the 975 and 965 would probably edge it out. Used P5B deluxe maybe might be nice.

About the board dying, maybe it couldn't handle some of the voltages you were giving it? A cascaded Kentsfield is at the top of the heap as far as current draw goes...Commando sounds even better considering that since it has 8 phase power regulation. Should hopefully be very stable even under the torture you'd put it through. :p

Gautam said:
You got a lot of choices with that CPU. The unlocked multis make things much easier. :p

Commando looks pretty good. Check out what before is doing with his cascade on a Biostar TForce for example. This board only costs about 100 USD.

But my general suggestion would be to check out classfieds to find something good in the price range. Since you've got a Kentsfield, i965 will probably be the best choice, as you'll be able to break 400MHz FSB fairly easily. i975 would be ok, but you'd need to live with lower FSB. 680i...only for SLi IMHO, otherwise the 975 and 965 would probably edge it out. Used P5B deluxe maybe might be nice.

About the board dying, maybe it couldn't handle some of the voltages you were giving it? A cascaded Kentsfield is at the top of the heap as far as current draw goes...Commando sounds even better considering that since it has 8 phase power regulation. Should hopefully be very stable even under the torture you'd put it through. :p

thanks for ya input over xmas thickbrit pulled a 5.5 on a L63 6800 round mine on ln2 so i got one too still in the box lol un opened

the 8 phase is a draw for me i think i will order tomorrow so i can get back on track

the 8800gtx is a dream card to work with no bug just benched cant wait to get back at it

I actually was looking at EP-UK randomly the other day and saw that...a massive clock indeed. :drool:

X6800's are very fun CPU's indeed...in general you just can't get any faster. I'd recommend using the X6800 for all 3D benchies except 06 if that's possible...FSB and CPU clocks will be significantly higher.

8800 sounds dreamy...

Gautam said:
I actually was looking at EP-UK randomly the other day and saw that...a massive clock indeed. :drool:

X6800's are very fun CPU's indeed...in general you just can't get any faster. I'd recommend using the X6800 for all 3D benchies except 06 if that's possible...FSB and CPU clocks will be significantly higher.

8800 sounds dreamy...

i will most likely get a few o6 off the quad and then put it up for sale

its a drag to work with and so few benches

and its a cascade killer lol

pete (thickbrit) managed a sub 10 1m i think around 9.5 ln2 can be alot of fun but you have to be ready for it and no ya m/b well

the chip was benching at -130/-150 just nuts

Sorry bazx. I've never had anything actually blow up during a run but it sounds kinda fun :rolleyes: With the price on parts these days I'm pretty happy when it's just the board.

With the quad.. yea the P5B-Deluxe is the best bet for more FSB..

and the heat load on the cascade :bang head
we could take a shot at calculating that for overclocked Ghz goals, I have a feeling its going to be a 12V rail killer as well with your 2/3HP compressors *fairly high heat load themselves* your condensing capasity might be a tad low for this beast :bang head

anyway.. SLI maxi's board is looking good so far :D

Back