• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR 6400 and Sempron AM2 compatibility?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Francesco2

Registered
Hi..
As far as I know AM2 CPUs support DDR2 up to 667Mhz...
Most AM2 mobos on the other hand support DDR2 up to 800Mhz.

What does this mean?
Does this mean that if I build an AM2 system with DDR2 6400 memory sticks I will be forced to run them as they were 5400 sticks?
But what if I then rise the FSB to reach 6400 memory speeds?

Francesco2 said:
But what if I then rise the FSB to reach 6400 memory speeds?

Im currently overlclocking an intel chipset and i simply raised my fsb from 266 to 333 so that the full capacity of my ddr667mhz is being used. Everything seems stable. I imagine you can do the same thing but in your case to 400mhz. Just make sure you have a good mobo, psu and cpu cooler to ensure system stability.

Thank you for the reply.
Anyone else?
I would like to be 100% sure before buying.. since the CPU does not support them... will the system boot up?

Last edited:
I would suggest posting your question in the motherboard section for the socket am2. you might get more responses there. There are also people there who are using the same chipset and socket as you are so they will likely be more helpful

You can run the Sempi on the 667 divider and oc the bajeezas out it and reach 800+. You may even be able to tighten the lats as the cpu clocks are a little slower and ram is not pushed as hard. Your mobo will have little to do with it as long as the bios does not block the settings. Sempis like their bigger brother Athlon's have on-board controllers and the terminators are on the DDR2 modules. Previously DDR1 had these terminators on the mobo. Do remember to drop the HT bus divider as it is rated for 800-850 (1600-1700 bi-directional).

AlabamaCajun said:
You can run the Sempi on the 667 divider and oc the bajeezas out it and reach 800+. You may even be able to tighten the lats as the cpu clocks are a little slower and ram is not pushed as hard. Your mobo will have little to do with it as long as the bios does not block the settings. Sempis like their bigger brother Athlon's have on-board controllers and the terminators are on the DDR2 modules. Previously DDR1 had these terminators on the mobo. Do remember to drop the HT bus divider as it is rated for 800-850 (1600-1700 bi-directional).

Thank you this makes sense.
So you can confirm that the system will boot up even if the Sempron does not support the 6400 stick?
Sorry for being an ***.. but I really want to avoid bad surprises

Francesco2 said:
Thank you this makes sense.
So you can confirm that the system will boot up even if the Sempron does not support the 6400 stick?
Sorry for being an ***.. but I really want to avoid bad surprises
I can assure that the Sempron will take most DDR2 99% what you do have to watch is the mobo VDimm if you get high clock memory that requires higher voltages. In that case, most people boot on 1 stick, set the VDimm, shudown, put in the other stick and fire back up to success!

Back