• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSX custom case with cd tray

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fredxor

Registered
I've been sick of my PSX being a cd toploader, so I've decided to build a custom case for it. For the most part, the case has been designed and the parts have been ordered. There are a few problems (maybe you can help me solve them?), that I will cover later on.

My project uses .5" lexan and .25" lexan which will be mostly bonded together with weld-on solvent. Only the top of the case will be screwed on. The cd tray will created using a set of rails, some lexan, and the original cd drive from the PSX.

Here's the "blueprint" that shows the layout and design of my case so far:

These are the labeled parts:
1. The PSX main board
2. The PSX memory card/controller interface
3. The powersupply
4. The cd tray will go here

Here's a picture of the parts in the general layout:

Now comes my problem, which I will need your help on. Though this part is one of the last things that I have to accomplish, I would like to figure out how I'm going to accomplish it as soon as possible. The two cables coming out of the cd drive are not long enough to allow a cd tray to go all the way out of and back into the console. I was wondering if you guys could suggest a method of extending the cables or refer me to a website where I could buy a cable extention, specifically for the data cable. The male ends of the cables and their female sockets can be seen in these two pics:

More pictures and updates to come after I cut the lexan to size.

update

I got all the rest of my polycarbonate today:

Also, a guy on the ArsTechnica forums (named "blargh") helped me out with this advice on extending the cd drive connector:
Those connectors are quasi-standardized, but the cables used with them are almost always custom. I don't think you'll have any luck finding an off-the-shelf extension cable.

That said, soldering a bunch of wires on there to extend it shouldn't be all that terrible anyway. Go for it. :) Soldering onto the exposed pads on the male end of the cable is easy; if I were you I'd just leave the socket in place and solder the wires on to the exposed pins that are already there. Trying to desolder a flimsy plastic component with a lot of pins like that is going to be difficult without mangling it.

I'll probably buy some thin stranded wire (about the same gauge as telephone wire: I think it's 24) from McMaster

thanks for the encouragement guys!

sephiroth_749 said:
im sorry i cant help you out with your question
don't worry, i've got it covered

-----

I've started designing the case and the layout of the mounts for the boards, here's what I have so far:

Back