• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 0 or Raid Matrix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poopboypat

Hello all I have 2 160GB HD that are in a Raid 0 array and 128k strip. I am using my new build as a gaming rig, I will be doing some programming on it (Java, and C++). I was wondering which Raid I should go with? And what specifics should I go with?

I have windows vista installed, but that’s it, so Im fine with starting over with everything on my HD.

For gaming and single user should I go with a Raid 0 array or a Raid Matrix? If I go with Raid 0 what type of strip should I use? And with Matrix what also should I use and how much of the disk should be Raid 0 and Raid 1? I have a 500GB backup disk, so putting the HD in Raid 0 isnt too hard since I can back up everyday. If need be. Thanks a lot!!!

IMHO for a single user with more than enough space, raid is overkill, but I would go with raid 0. I went raid with my raptors since they are only 36.7 gbs each, so I needed the space. I've used a bunch of different raid striping sizes and I've never noticed any difference. The matrix idea seems way too complex for what you are actually going to use.

Unless you actually want a RAID0 and RAID1 array on the same two drives, Matrix RAID isn't going to really benefit you. Stripe size seems to be controller dependant. Since you mention Matrix, I assume an Intel chipset and I believe they like 128K stripes.

Back