• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please help; looking for a good psu that doesn't intake air thru the bottom

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

six4withafro

Registered
The layout of my case keeps me from using a psu with a 120mm fan taking air in through the bottom. Can anyone recommend a good psu with at least sleeved cables (modular is pretty much out, because most have an 80mm fan on both sides) that meets that qualification?

Thank you very much.

(it's getting frustrating, i'm looking at the Antec NeoHE 550, the OCZ Powerstream 520, or trying to convince myself that the 120mm fan blowing out the back of my case will pull more air from my cpu than an 80mm fan sucking air into the psu...)

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I'm currently looking at the following:

PC&C Silencer 610 for $156

Silverstone Zeus 560W for $125

Hiper Type-M (non-modular) 670W for $130

Fortron Source Group FSP600-80 for $115

FSP700-80 for $130

Tagan TG600 for $134

I live in CA so I'll have to pay tax on most of these (alternate vendor options have been spotty), and I rent a house that's over 100 years old (and since I'm in CA, its wiring hasn't been maintained all that well). I realize I'm probably overcompensating for my upgrade needs (RAID 5, a better video card (but not SLI), Opty 175 at 3.0 GHz :bday: ), but the more I learn, the more I think that this component is definitely one where overcompensation won't hurt.

Good point evil_inc... I've finally accepted that the price of having this case is that I'll probably need to do my own sleeving.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

Also, your system doesn't require anywhere near the amount of power those PSUs put out so you could save money on a lower power one but yatta yatta no one will listen to me anyway.

You could also take a look at the Antec NeoHE line, they're pretty solid nowadays.

My vote is for the Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF (I've got two of them and will probably get a third when I build my next system). But, I'd buy it from Performance-PCs. They've got it for $114.95 and since they're in Florida you shouldn't have to pay any tax.

cool, I'll check out performance-pcs. it's interesting, in my experience most components are pretty well-priced by pricegrabber, froogle, etc. but PSUs don't really show up in the search at all.

and I know I don't need anywhere near that power right now; I hope to be running 3 or 4 HDDs, a better video card, by the time 939 EOL comes around, and I don't want to buy another PSU until I'm building another machine.

Back