• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-55 OC'ing Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JdPower

Registered
Hey guys, first post here :beer: and I am not much of an idiot when coming to computers. Well here is my issue right now. I cannot get this thing stable past 2.70Ghz, I ran Prime95 stress test at 2.80Ghz with a "Blend" configuration and its runs great for about 2mins then I get an error and it stops. Max. load temp is 49C and I am running the Thermaltake Blue OrbII with Artic Silver 5. Here is CPU-Z info....
Capture017.jpg

Now where its currently at (2.70Ghz) I ran normal Prime95 test for 2hrs and no errors at all. Ran stress test and everything completed perfectly. My goal is to get this thing running @ 3.0Ghz and I would be a happy camper. So thats what I am asking from you guys to help me get there, and least try getting it on Air, if I can't and need to be on water thats fine to. And if so what WC should you recommend!

Everything in CPU-Z shown above is currently what my system is at except the Multi is @ 13.5 and the command rate is at 1T instead of 2T. If there is anything else you guys need let me know. And thank you in advance!

J

Ok first off Welcome :beer:
Second you should make a sig with all your parts in it the more we know about your system the more we can help .
Are you on stock cooling ( does it have heat pipes ?)
3ghz is never a for sure with any chip .
IS there a reason that you are only overclockign via the Multi and not rasing your HTT ?

||Console|| said:
Ok first off Welcome :beer:
Second you should make a sig with all your parts in it the more we know about your system the more we can help .
Are you on stock cooling ( does it have heat pipes ?)
3ghz is never a for sure with any chip .
IS there a reason that you are only overclockign via the Multi and not rasing your HTT ?

Thank you. I was in the process of making my sig with all list of parts :) . CPU has an aftermarket cooler: 120MM Thermaltake Blue OrbII CPU fan, and I have 5 120MM fans and 1 200MM fan in the case. No there is no reason really, just don't know what to raise/lower my HTT? Kinda just stuck with the mult and volts...

Oh memory volts are set at 2.75v

Ok one thing i think you should do is read the Over clocking sticky http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768
it will help you find out what the max is for eash of your parts ( ram , cpu , HT ) it will also get you more used to the differnet terms that we will be using and should get your oc a bit farther.

In that guide i woudl start with finding you max oc for your ram as overclcoking and knoing the max will help in the end . ( most ppl like their ram running as fast *** it can run because we want our ram bw higher than stock )

||Console|| said:
Ok one thing i think you should do is read the Over clocking sticky http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768
it will help you find out what the max is for eash of your parts ( ram , cpu , HT ) it will also get you more used to the differnet terms that we will be using and should get your oc a bit farther.

In that guide i woudl start with finding you max oc for your ram as overclcoking and knoing the max will help in the end . ( most ppl like their ram running as fast *** it can run because we want our ram bw higher than stock )

Ditto..... Just because the FX series has the higher mulitplier does not mean that by just raising it you will obtain optimal..... Like console stated... test each part individually to find their limits then put it all together..... Memory really is the ballance tipper with OC'ing any system.....

Good luck on your 3.0 OC run...... I almost have my A 64 4000+ stable @ 3.0 as we speak..... just tweeking to finalize..... OH yeah, and If I couldn't hit 3.0 with an FX-55.... I would be UPSET>>>> YOU CAN DO IT>>>>:beer:

I did notice voltage @ 1.6.... Stock volts on FX series is 1.5...... I would lower that votage first.... No need for 1.6 till you get around 3.0

One last thing.... dont' us AI overclocking...... Manual in Bios is the only way to go......

Last edited:
||Console|| said:

How could i get my HTT at 250mhz instead of 200.3mhz ? Lower it or raising it? Ahh, thats where i am confused at.

well i wouldnt just right to 250mhz from 200 snice your pc3200 ram might now oc to 250 with out a divider .

What do you have your HTT multi set to? It looks like 1x to me. Try to keep it as near to 1000 without going over. Try 3-4x and see if that fixes anything.

satandole666 said:
What do you have your HTT multi set to? It looks like 1x to me. Try to keep it as near to 1000 without going over. Try 3-4x and see if that fixes anything.

Its at 1000Mhz and it cant go higher then that.

||Console|| said:
well in the CPUZ screen shot is says your ht is @ 200 so that would = 1x put it on 3

Hahaha I must be an idiot cuz in bios all I see is HTT is @ 1ghz. :confused:

I dunno guys I just might be lost in this whole overclocking thing. I have read guides after guides and I think I get it but I must not. Either that or I might be getting to old.

NA it just takes time dont give up because we wont =)
Is there somthing in you Bios Called LTD ? ( I have never used that MB)

Is this pc @ home or @ work ?

||Console|| said:
NA it just takes time dont give up because we wont =)
Is there somthing in you Bios Called LTD ? ( I have never used that MB)

Is this pc @ home or @ work ?

I think so... Its @ home, I wish it was @ work. I can try taking some pics of the bios when I get home

I'm in the exact same boat as you JdPower. I can get to 2.8GHz (216x13) but Orthos errors after a few seconds. I up'ed the voltage up to 1.55V but still errors. I tried using a RAM divider to 166MHz and I also tried lowering the HTT multi down as far as x1 but still no success. Would the temperatures going above 50C be causing it to error? :shrug:

the_cultie said:
I'm in the exact same boat as you JdPower. I can get to 2.8GHz (216x13) but Orthos errors after a few seconds. I up'ed the voltage up to 1.55V but still errors. I tried using a RAM divider to 166MHz and I also tried lowering the HTT multi down as far as x1 but still no success. Would the temperatures going above 50C be causing it to error? :shrug:
maybe a differnt bios ? I was runnign 1.3c sideeffects bios untill yeterday on that mb then i upgraded my mb

||Console|| said:
maybe a differnt bios ? I was runnign 1.3c sideeffects bios untill yeterday on that mb then i upgraded my mb

Thats what I am going to try. I have an older version of my bios, so I am going to update my bios with the newer version...

This is my second BIOS I tried for overclockin this CPU. It's a modded version of a new beta.

Well updated my bios to the newest version (0602) and still its a no go. Everytime I try to OC it past 2.75 and run Prime95 it errors out in 5 seconds. Its at 2.75 now and I ran Prime95 for 7hrs while I was asleep and everything is perfect with no errors. volts are stock (1.5-1.55) I dunno I am lost here. Think I might just give up on OC'ing this CPU. :confused:

If anybody as any ideas on what I could try I am all ears...

Back