• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much Is To Fast To Push The FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfox

With my Opty 165 knowing it overclocks pretty good, is it bad to push the FSB in increments of 10?

Or any CPU for that matter, how much is enough for each overclock you do should you not push it?

THANKS

You can do whatever increment you're comfortable with. You could even do increments of 20. At some point you'll hit a wall and you'll have to back off the overclock. The only advantage of incrementing in small steps is that it will be easier to see instability rather than punching in a clock and having it just not boot. With the opty you could even start out at 2.4-2.5ghz on stock voltage and test from there, most should be able to at least handle that.

when i got my 4400+ first boot = stock second boot = 250x10 =)
you wont hurt any thing it just might not post if you go tofar with out chnaging enough ( voltage , ldt ,timmings)

If you take small steps like 5 MHz you will see instability before it will not post and this will help you avoid some BIOS resets. On my 165 I did 10 MHz steps until I got up around 2.7GHz then I slowed down as I knew the max on my chip's stepping is usually between 2.7 and 3.0 GHz If bios restes don't bother you can take bigger steps. Just keep an eye on you HT and RAM speeds. It helps when you know the max of your RAM and HT then it takes them out of the puzzle.

Ok I thought these small increments where to like let the CPU adjust to the changes and not slamm it, and keep it running long and happy.

There is no physical movement or emotions in a CPU so no. Although a buddy of mine was pushing the FSB up quickly and fried a MOSFET on a Gigabyte board with a Sempy. I would guess it was faulty to start with and would have been just a matter of time before it died. There is nothing you can hurt by doing big jumps though.

The CPU clock can be bumped in 1, 10s or 20s. It helps to move in smaller increments allowing you to see how each increment performs. Jumping to a higher setting will more than likely result in a no boot unless you know it will do it.
The HT link you want to keep in the 800-1000 range a little over is OK but it's not needed to since you are just raising the temps on the NB since PCI-E runs around 133. It take a lot to exceed the buss bandwidth.

I went straight from 200 to 290 (pitstop at 250) on my opty, since I knew that they didn't hit the wall until past 2.7 (unless I got a bad cpu, of course, but w/e). Took it in slower increments to 300, which required a voltage boost that I didn't feel like keeping, so I went back down.

Last edited:
Immortal_Hero said:
Nice sig. I have noticed it go from quite differnt than mine to looking very similar :D.

LOL, gee I didn't think anyone would notice. :eek:

Yeah I like the centered look :cool:

Ok thanks well this Opty 165 seems to like getting pushed.

There is really not a 'too high' unless it's unstable...in that case, I suppose your right. I ran my Opty 144 all the way up and past 344.

Back