• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron185 vs. FX-60

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PretzelPusher2

I haven't had my system built that long and I'm already jonesn for a dual core..... Which would you choose for the money and performance... the specs look identical but I have heard that the opteron uses much better cilica(sp).... I'm an avid benchmark guy... so..... your oppinion is much appreciated.....:beer:

Why spend the money for either? Get an Opty 165 or 170 and OC the hell out of it and put a few hundred bucks back in your pocket. Check my sig for what mine is doing on air. The FX are the creme of the crop, they are as good or better than the Opties.

Doesn't look like that mobo has enough HTT to max out the 165, maybe the 170 though.

Thats alot of $$$ FX60 thats were platform or GFX upgrade would make more of a difference then then buying a pricy CPU.
170 + better GFX ;)

CPU dependent on the max HTT of the mobo.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

2.95Ghz is going to be tough dual core, you might want to get a used opty with a good stepping.

Immortal_Hero said:
Why spend the money for either? Get an Opty 165 or 170 and OC the hell out of it and put a few hundred bucks back in your pocket. Check my sig for what mine is doing on air. The FX are the creme of the crop, they are as good or better than the Opties.

Your oppinion then is that the 185 would not be cappable of a 3.1 or 3.2 OC...??? This will be my last 939 CPU purchase....

The plus to the FX chip is the open multi. This can make overclocking easier.

EDIT: yeah higher than 3Ghz is tough. Without water I'd say it's pretty well impossible.

a 170 would be the best buy for price/performance.

jivetrky said:
The plus to the FX chip is the open multi. This can make overclocking easier.

EDIT: yeah higher than 3Ghz is tough. Without water I'd say it's pretty well impossible.

a 170 would be the best buy for price/performance.

The FX helps if your mobo has bad max HTT

And I agree, you would need the uber stepping CPU and use plenty of Vcore to hit over 3Ghz with air.

btw.. there are better performing heatsinks now.

PretzelPusher2 said:
Your oppinion then is that the 185 would not be cappable of a 3.1 or 3.2 OC...??? This will be my last 939 CPU purchase....

Sure it could be capable... all really depends on the stepping and cooling, but to my knowledge the newer Optis are doing quite well. I have a CCBBE 0610DPMW 165 that will do 2.9GHz pretty easily on air.

I know 10th week of 06 doesn't sound new but I've only had the chip for a couple months.

And with the limited HTT of your Asus board, I would suggest a 175 with the 11x multi. If you can hit 280HTT you'll be pushing close to 3.1GHz. :thup: A 185 IMO is overkill and overpriced.

harlam357 said:
Sure it could be capable... all really depends on the stepping and cooling, but to my knowledge the newer Optis are doing quite well. I have a CCBBE 0610DPMW 165 that will do 2.9GHz pretty easily on air.

I know 10th week of 06 doesn't sound new but I've only had the chip for a couple months.

And with the limited HTT of your Asus board, I would suggest a 175 with the 11x multi. If you can hit 280HTT you'll be pushing close to 3.1GHz. :thup: A 185 IMO is overkill and overpriced.

I appreciate that...... the 175 very well could be the better way to go..... I know that I have absolultly MAXXED my 4000+.... but I've been very happy with my 3.0 results for it....

greenmaji said:
That would depend on the mobo YMMV, thats why you test it.
I just don't know why everyone is against ASUS for OCing. Yea it isn't a DFI nor does it look like a clown.

Im not against it.. I say test it so you know (I don't care if its a DFI)

PretzelPusher2 said:
YES..... 305.... was The limit for me....

Stable? if so the 170 will be able to top out @ 3.05Ghz

greenmaji said:
Im not against it.. I say test it so you know (I don't care if its a DFI)

Stable? if so the 170 will be able to top out @ 3.05Ghz

Yes,,, STABLE.... that's how I know it's 305...... Why does that supprise you.....

I assume that the 170 just has a 10x multi limit.....

I think the 175 would be a smarter choice for me..... 11x multi @ 275htt getts me sweet spot on @ 3.02. With room to spare......

Thx for the input.....

I don't mind spending the extra $30 for the extra multiplier...

PretzelPusher2 said:
Yes,,, STABLE.... that's how I know it's 305...... Why does that supprise you.....

I assume that the 170 just has a 10x multi limit.....

No need to be a prick about it gm was just asking a simple question.

And also in gm's defense, he never said ANYTHING bad about asus boards and overclocking, did he?

GM wasn't the only one that spoke about Asus here. It wasn't aimed at anyone. Just seems the attitude here a lot of times is go DFI or go home.

Immortal_Hero said:
GM wasn't the only one that spoke about Asus here. It wasn't aimed at anyone. Just seems the attitude here a lot of times is go DFI or go home.

Yes... that was slightly implied by me. Just not an Asus fan... sue me. :) DFI has just been proven to run a higher HTT on average than the Asus boards. It's not a mystery nor a subject for discussion.

Go with whatever floats your boat... DFI or otherwise. :thup: Just trying to help the guy pick up the best chip for his setup w/o overspending.

Cheers! :beer:

Back