• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 Fan VERY Loud Sometimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lancingfury

Well, the athlon 64 4000+ now has an annoying prank it likes to pull on me - sometimes when i turn my system on the cpu fan will sound as loud as a jetski, and sometimes that happens when its running. Is the fan about to die? When I say jetski, thats the exact sound, it isn't throttling or anything I garantee you...

If the fan is about to die, how do I get a new one? I imagine AMD would take forever and a day to get one to me. Would it void my warantee to buy one from newegg and use it? (Like one of those flower-shaped copper ones that get rid of heat so well?)

Look to see if a wire might be touching the fan blades. Other than that, It might be a damaged fan or just out of balance. (Is is dusty?)

I don't think it invalidates the warranty to use an aftermarket heatsink and fan. To get a new cooler, just order it and follow the installation instructions. Make sure the one you get is made for socket 939 (if that is what you have).

An aftger market cooler invalidates the warranty unless it conforms to AMD's weight and size specs, but really it wouldn't stop most people. I would get an inexpensive yet effective aftermarket cooler like this:
http://www.svc.com/acfzp64.html
If you just want a replacement fan should be pretty easy. I would check out places such as SVC, Jabtech or Sidewindercomputers.com.

That annoying loud spin up is most likely due to the onboard fan controller.
The fan spins at 100% at boot but settles down soon. When temps reach a certain degree the fan will also spin up until it cools the CPU down.

If the fan only recently started making this noise then a new fan is in order. Depending on the type of heatsink you have, you may want to upgrade the entire heatsink as already suggested.
:)

Wow, that might be it. It's done it all along, on occasion, but as soon as I took the side off to investigate and turn it back on, it would stop. If it's heat doing it, that would explain it, opening the case let a rush of air into it. Interesting. Would disabling CoolnQuiet make it spin loudest all the time? Maybe I should try that.

Sure is darned loud though!!

No its not CnQ thats doing it, depending on you motherboard its called a "fan controller" on an Asus its the "Q Fan controller".

I use my fan controller on my asus a8n-sli and have a serperate one for case fans.

Thanks!

Well, now I'm not sure. I'm thinking it's my hard drive now. The sound starts a second or two after my fan starts, but when I think about it that time is about exactly how long it takes my hard drive to spin up. The hard drive is already over 4 years old, so maybe it's dying?

Would anyone have a recommendation for a sata hard drive for about $50? Doesn't have to be large.

if i wanted to find the source of the noise, as soon as the noise starts very carefully and slowly stop the cpu fan with your finger(slowly being 1 or so seconds dont just ram your finger in (done it it hurts)) if the noise stops instantly let the fan spin up again if the noise starts back up thats yer problem. if its not try unplugging your hard drive, try booting it a couple times. if you dont hear the noise at all when normally you do. thats probably the culpret.

Bare in mind you do this at your own risk, althought if your barefull you wont get hurt and 2 or so seconds of the heatsink without areflow wont instantly heat up your processor.

Thanks!

Well, I finally figured out exactly what fan it is. It is the chipset fan. The mother board is a revision 1 KN1 Extreme, socket 939. Is there any danger in having a chipset fan that is noisy sometimes? Worst case scenario, it fails. What happens then? It has a good sized heatsink on it and decent airflow through the case (1 80mm in front pulling in and the front of the case is a metal mesh, one 120mm in back pushing out), so I imagine it would be fine without it for a bit, right?

EDIT: Picture of motherboard, fan in question is in lower left of middle: http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/images/nforce4/kn1-extreme-board.jpg

chipset fans are relatively cheap if you can find one that'll fit it should be alright without a fan for a little while? although i wouldnt try gettin any huge overclocks or overvolting the northbirdge etc, without a fan, also do you not have a fan controller you can hook it up to maybe pickup one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118217 and turn the speed down soits quieter?

Well, I called the company, and they told me to either send it in for repair, or to install a new fan myself and they will still honor the warantee.

What fan should I use? I hear the existing one is 44mm. Any comparable HSF's I could use with it?

It's pretty much dead. It barely even spins anymore.

Is it dangerous to the northbridge to run it like this? It has a HUGE heatsink...

Last edited:
Back