• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Before I overclock my e6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rsgunter

Well, I've got all my gear but had to get a new PSU!

It will be here Tuesday so I'm going to start rolling with things then. Now, I don't want to jump into OCing to quickly, so I'm wondering if I should do some stress tests on the cpu (and ram I guess) to sort of "burn in" the processor. From what I've been reading cpu's get better with more stress, as ram tends to do. I'm not sure if I'm reading crap or not. Enlighten me?

Thanks!

if your running stock there is no need to run stress tests. that would only be if your tring to run stock speed with a passive sink or if your ocing. well i have never had a cpu oc higher after letting it "stress" for 24hrs or even after longer period. cycling stress tests though get the thermal paste to set in quicker then with normal usage. i think "burn in" is just something some think is real. just like the "majic wood posts" that make your audio system sound better, just snake oil imo.

Evil certainly knows more than I do about this. I am totally a nooB at OCing, but I will say it is probably to run memtest on your RAM just to be sure you didn't get corrupted memory...even if it is brand new it can be bad.

You DO want to stress your CPU once you start OCing! But as long as you are running stock I will go with what Evil says.

Yes, I will be OCing and realize that there would be no need running at stock speeds. I also realize I need to stress test during the OC process.

Just needed to know if I need to do any preliminary tests before I start uping volts and adjusting timings.

Thanks

well get your self some base numbers at stock with your rig. that way you can see your progress as you oc. say like 3dmark05/06 also a "fun" bench would be superpi. one i have not use much that others recommend to use for both benchin and a stability test, pcmark the newest one. sorry i dont know what it might be i got my rig where i can by 3dmark/orthos/memtest86.

Back