• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is PFC worth the extra money

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Home users won't benefit from active power factor correction. I think most better power supplies come with it now.

Last edited:
Having active PFC makes UPS batteries last a lot longer for whatever reason, but otherwise it doesn't affect you personally much (unless you're in Europe, where not having it will cost you). You should get it, though, since it's more eco-friendly.

I thought nearly all reputable PSUs come with PFC now. Tbh, I wouldnt really trust one that didnt have it...

It's eco-friendly, which will save money on your electricity bills ;)

mantralord said:
Having active PFC makes UPS batteries last a lot longer for whatever reason, but otherwise it doesn't affect you personally much (unless you're in Europe, where not having it will cost you). You should get it, though, since it's more eco-friendly.
I've been looking at PSUs for a while and I haven't seen ANY non-active-PFC PSUs sold in Finland, so you don't really have a choise here :)

EDIT: Yes, Finland is in Europe ;)

Considering PFC costs next to nothing and saves you money by using less elextricity, yes it's good to have.

Since PFC is mandatory by law in the EU, it's kinda hard to buy a reputable PSU without. The only ones which don't have it are the cheapest of the cheapest ones which aren't trustworthy to power anything in the first place.

Back