• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

processor voltage info- athlon 64 sand diego

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ppe1700

hi,
im trying to get the most out my athlon just for the sake of it...
whats the maximum voltage it would take? or is it just the case that more voltage = more heat that leads to excessive heat leads to processor not working propperly ???
what i mean is does the internals of the processor let you just do as ya please ?

cheers!

Well, nothing in this world just lets you do as you please. For every action there is going to be some cost. In the case of a processor, there are a couple of factors to consider.

First off, going up from stock voltage, you will generally have more heat to deal with. If your cooling solution is not up to the amount of heat that you are dealing with, then you will eventually overheat your processor. When that happens, there are a few things that can happen depending on the design of your processor.

*Now I am not very up on the San Diego core just yet but generally speaking, if you get lucky, it just does not work quite right over some critical temperature. Then Windows will crash on you.

*Slightly worse can be what Intel is known for doing and that is to put a circuit in that underclocks your computer before it gets to a bad temperature. I have never known AMD to do that but as I say, I am not current on the matter.

*Beyond that is your really bad possibility. If you push it hard enough, the processor could fail totally and never restart again. When this happens you often let out the magic smoke that make processors work in the first place.

Now, the above in only true for high temperatures. If you are using a higher end cooling system that can handle what you throw at it, then yo run another risk. Every processor has a certain limit that you can throw at it before you again let out the magic smoke.

For any given core, there is a certain point at which they will generally fail but it can vary slightly from one chip to another. Usually, you will get some instability before that happens but there are always a few unlucky individuals who will trash a given chip before that happens.

To be honest, your best bet would be to post this question in the AMD CPU forum as there you are more likely to find people who have experience with pushing your core to the limit. When you do post there, it will really help if you give us the numbers that are written on your chip as that will identify it more clearly. Generally, the numbers can tell us what factory it came from, what week it was made and so on. The more info that you can give us the better.

Edit, I like your sig. But just remember what usually happend on "Tool Time".

cheers mate
ill try and find the amd forum and post there :)
yeah tim the tool man kept fixing stuff that aint broke. least amd's aint that expensive
i accidentally had it at 1.75 and when i loaded cpu-z and saw, i restarded immediatly to change it back down, the system i think crashed just as it had shut down (not 100% sure) but when the bios came up it said 'system in safe mode, please adjust cpu settings)

i dont really want to take the heat sink off again.. only number i could get of ebuyer was ADA3700DAA5BN
ah, also, what does people use to show the temp of it while windows is up? im using pc wizard, but in the bios it says cpu - 53C, pc wizard says 36C (oviously it changes etc) also pc wizard and cpu-z will say the cpu V but they wont match up.... ???
thanks!

ppe1700 said:
i dont really want to take the heat sink off again.. only number i could get of ebuyer was ADA3700DAA5BN
ah, also, what does people use to show the temp of it while windows is up? im using pc wizard, but in the bios it says cpu - 53C, pc wizard says 36C (oviously it changes etc) also pc wizard and cpu-z will say the cpu V but they wont match up.... ???
thanks!

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

ppe1700 said:
yeah tim the tool man kept fixing stuff that aint broke. least amd's aint that expensive

Actually, what I meant was all the dumb ways the people kept getting hurt on that show. For example, the time that he had Bob Vila on the show. He was walking across the stage with a 2x10 on his shoulder and all said something to him. As he turns to face Al, BLAM! If the beam hadn't been a styrofoam prop, poor Bob would have had his head come clean off.

haha, i think i see that one :)
he normally just falls of the roof or something, but his assistant is lovely aint she (not Al)
the accidents are a bit exagerated, and you can normally tell whats going to happen. has anyone seen his neighbors face yet?

is that old wilson? is that fake glasses, fake nose and a fake tash you get out a christmas cracker???

Back