• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vison monitors with ATI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dunker1

Folks,
I am building a small pc for my father in law....huge mistake. I can see 10yrs of tech support.
But anyway. I bought a Vison monitor and have connected it viaDVi adn VGA cable. VGA stand alone says no source. DVI says no signal.
I am using a ATI card9800pro for him. With a p4m80-m4 board from BIOstar with a 2.4ghz proc from intel. It boots to post, but I get this no souce error with monitor.
I recall that there is some issue with older cpus like this and DVI monitors/grahpics cards?
Please advise.

Judging by the 1xVGA port it has, I am assuming that means onboard video.

Either try connecting to that or disable onboard video in the BIOS

If you can see the post screen its possible windows is trying to use the onboard video instead of the 9800, try connecting the monitor to it and see if you can get into windows and change the settings, if you havent installed an OS then its probably a bios setup issue or something.

AHHHHH

OK so plug into on board vid. then try re set on bios. ???I dont get to bios screen as it states no source.. so I just see blank screen. Everyhtin else boots up.. I have a blank system no os etc.

I'll that.

ok if its not getting a signal at all plugged into the ATI definately the board will be the only thing to try. look for primary video init and set it to AGP, also you might want to check a manual for the board online or whatever and see if you have to switch a jumper to disable the onboard and activate the AGP slot.

REALLY important NOW....continuing issue

SO I have plugged the vid cable into:
1. VGA port on monitor.
2.DVI on monitor
3. VGA with DVI dongle
into both onboard and at x800pro card.
When I sue the DVI plug from teh monitor is says no source.
When I sue the VGA plug from monitor it says no connection.

Could it be a faulty VGA port? I tried 2 VGA cables.
Or is it system issue that older motherboards dont recognize LCD monitors?

have you tried another monitor on both ports, and maybe the system with the AGP card removed using the onboard video? If you haven't seen post with the radeon in its possible the computer isnt making it to POST due to an error, or theres something screwy where the onboard video is conflicting with it or something.

DAM it..Where is my sledge hammer.

Big Mike said:
have you tried another monitor on both ports, and maybe the system with the AGP card removed using the onboard video? If you haven't seen post with the radeon in its possible the computer isnt making it to POST due to an error, or theres something screwy where the onboard video is conflicting with it or something.

>>Another monitor gets smae result. I took agp out and tried it also..:confused:
I am not getting to post screen or beeps...

If you have a speaker hooked up and its not beeping at all I'd have to suspect there's a problem and its not getting very far at all, I'd check the CPU/Heatsink and ram to make sure they're all properly seated and working right if you have a way to test them.

Thanks

Is there a way to test if the cpu is functioning at any level without hearing or seeing post.
I know for sure teh monitor works. Should i roll this over to CPU forum?

You are only connecting one Cable to the monitor at a time correct?

I do recall seeing issues before where POST did not display on LCD screen connected through DVI but IIRC vga was never an issue.

Remove video card, connect only VGA cable to monitor and onboard video.
Make sure the LED on hte monitor is Amber (yellow)

Turn on PC and watch the LED on the LCD. Does it flash green at all? Does it stay green but still no image? Check your brightness levels

Have you waited long enough for Windows to boot? The issue I was referring to earlier, the problem was ONLY in POST, windows displayed fine.

Back