• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 1800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Faded_Mantis

Registered
I have at home an old Athlon XP 1800+ 1.5ghz CPU (I think it's socket A - I have the old manual to find and check), I also have a GeForce 4 MX440 64mb too.

Now the thing is, I was wondering if you thought it'd be worth me trying to track down a Motherbord for it (hardest part to find) along with RAM, a case, HDD etc. and seeing how it overclocked or something.

I could do the free thing and use Linux as the sole OS (possibly with win 98 too) seeing as I can use both those free. I don't really want to buy win XP again, just so I can use updates on both computers.

This secondary computer would just be for me to play around with, I may even try some custom case set up. And I'll keep my main computer for my games/work etc.

What do you think?

[EDIT]
Found some socket A motherboards on a local auction website

Definately worth doing as a project. That 1800 should OC nicely, and I've known people to get impressive overclocks out of the old MX440's.

There are lots of uses for older systems, you could set up your own server, or learn how to use an alternative OS :)

Just curious but is it a T-bred or Palomino? I can tell you from experience that the XP 1800+ T-breds can oc very well depending on the mobo and RAM that you choose. One thing to watch out for if it is a Palomino, is heat (but when ISN'T heat something to watch out for :bang head ). With high core voltage similar to the old T-birds (1.75V), they can get real hot, real quick.

I've also seen some pretty impressive 3DMark scores out of the old trusty 440s.

Almost sounds like a retro project my son & I are working on with a mobile 2500+ and some nForce2 board I've never heard of before (a JetWay N2PAP-LITE :confused: ). Overclocks well though & my son likes it...good enough for me.

:beer:

Yea I had read about the OC difference between the Tbred and the Palomino. I'm not sure which one I have because it is currently stuck to the old burnt out motherboard with it's fan and heatsink still over it.

It was acctually one of dads old computers on which the motherboard burnt out (nothing was overclocked etc, was just a dodgy motherboard...it only lasted 2.5 years I think) and he doesn't want the parts so I was going to pilfer them.

Acctually now I think about it, the PSU also burnt out, but it was a budget PSU, maybe that was what made the mobo go-bo (sorry couldn't resist)

Is there a way to overclock in Linux or will I need to use a form of Windows to do that? - probably a stupid question

Hmm, maybe I can ran as many components of the system as possible on aftermarket heat sinks so I don't need any fans, and use it as a server or something similar...big juicey HDD etc...except it'd need to be an ata HDD to work on any of the old boards I'd need for a socket A

Hmmm...the only problem when the PSU go 'POP!' is that it tends to take a lot of other things with it...like the mobo, CPU, uhhh, potentially everything really :bang head . I wish you luck there.

As for Linux, most all of your OCing will be done in BIOS anyways. BIOS is completely independent of the OS so it shouldn't be a problem. It's all going to depend on the level of OCing that your chosen mobo/BIOS will support.

No such thing as a 'stupid question'...only stupid answers. :beer:

A server might be nice. Shoot for a mobo with ATA133 and possibly RAID0/1 if you can find it. Then invest in a couple of very cheap 10/100/1000Mb/s NIC cards if it is going to be a home network server. Check eBay too. The JetWay mobo we got has all the makings of a nice retro system...Socket A w/ support up to XP 3200+, 400MHz FSB DDR, ATA133, AGP 8x, onboard LAN & audio, 5x PCI slots (good breathing room), and all of the BIOS bells & whistles one would ever need for OCing (everything except RAID & SATA). I stole it at the very last second for $18 + $9 shipping :D

Last edited:
Bishop78 said:
Hmmm...the only problem when the PSU go 'POP!' is that it tends to take a lot of other things with it...like the mobo, CPU, etc. I wish you luck there.

:( The RAM from the system was fine, is there anyway for me to test the CPU and GPU with out putting them in a new mobo?

I have access to 2 systems that still run AGP but both are already set up and working well... (mine has a PCI-E slot but also has an "AGR" slot, it's some MSI thing that will run the majority of AGP cards but not all) and the other is another old one of dads lol

If there is no easier way I could get a cheap socket A board and just pinch the PSU from my computer to test the components.

Oh and I'm not sure if the PSU went at the same time as the mobo, I'll have to ask dad when I next see him as I have a feeling it may have gone a few months before the mobo did, as I remember him having a PSU pulled apart beside the old Athlon XP 1800+ system while it was still working.

Sorry for the delayed response Mantis. Tax time is always crazy around here.

Faded_Mantis said:
:( The RAM from the system was fine, is there anyway for me to test the CPU and GPU with out putting them in a new mobo?

The only way to test them or make them function at all is to have them in a working mobo. Without a working motherboard, they're just expensive paper weights.

Faded_Mantis said:
If there is no easier way I could get a cheap socket A board and just pinch the PSU from my computer to test the components.

Sure. As long as everything is compatible, you should be fine. Your only compatibility concerns should be; socket A, AGP 4x/8x ready (no AGP 1x or 2x for that 440MX), and the right # of PSU pins (20 pin PSU vs. a 24 pin, but 20+4 is universal). Check eBay man. Old socket A mobos are a dime a dozen.

Good luck to ya! :beer:

lol np I've been on holiday, I can't check the mx440 right now, but from memory it was a 4x agp bus.

I'm going to have to design some kind of custom case for this.

Eh, run it on the desk top and forget the case for now, unless you have climbing pets or small children around! ;) You're going to be changing stuff around so much a case will just cost you time. Once you've got everything working right then buy a case and enjoy ...

Back