• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After 3.5 years. SNDS finally struck :/...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

Welp... Tis a sad day for me I had a 2.4c northwood running at 3.3ghz for over 3 1/2 years and SNDS finally struck. About 3 weeks ago I noticed my computer freezing occasionaly. Yesterday it completely fell apart. It would have problems even booting up. So I reset the cmos and finally dropped it to 3ghz (any more and it would crash) and all is well again. The voltage just got to it. Well, it's still an amazing chip, but it looks like I'll be upgrading soon.

I raise my glass to my northwood though! Was an awesome ride.

what voltage were you runnin on it for the last 3.5years? 3.3ghz seems pretty low to be a S.N.D.S. candidate...i might have to side with seasonal eclipse....when was the last time you took the cover off of your psu (be very careful!! don't touch ANYTHING inside!!) and used a can of air to clean out all the dust?

How can it be Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome...

...AFTER THREE AND A HALF YEARS?!?

I mean you should be damned happy. :beer:

It doesnt sound like SNDS.. because.. well.. it happens all at once.. not over time.. it could be CPU just dying.. but it isnt SNDS either way.. if it had been it would have died 3 years ago when you OCed it. lol.. But yeah.. I still think it could be your PSU perhaps.. are the caps on your board okay?.. none buldging?

this was interesting. i just built my first intel rig a few days ago. when i was running amd i never looked into what was happening with the intel chips.

rainless said:
How can it be Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome...

...AFTER THREE AND A HALF YEARS?!?

I mean you should be damned happy. :beer:

Rofl. You have a point... Okay, it started freezing suddenly? =)

I agree it could be the PSU. Infact it's either the CPU or the PSU, but one thing is that dust in not a problem. I keep my system very clean so I know its not that. The PSU is an Antec 550w so who knows. Honestly, I think it is the chip though since it's getting really old. I had it running I believe at 1.675v. I'm already seeing what I can afford if I have to upgrade. I just, ofcourse didn't expect to have to replace my computer and was waiting till summer. Oh well. Maybe I can limp along with what I got till then still. Although, considering almost all the apps I use are multi-threaded I may look into some dual core action here.

Oh and seasonal, I know a few that had SNDS that had 2.4's at 3.4+ and had to clock all the way down to 2.8 to get it stable again..

were you running 1.675v the whole time? as set in bios? if so, it would probably idle at or around 1.7v, and full load around 1.65v. 1.7v is very dangerous to northwoods, and while this may not be "sudden" northwood death syndrome, i would suspect that you are dealing with a degrading northie due to too much voltage.

Yeah, definitely check Your PSU caps and even more so motherboard caps, which are very common problems and will definitely reduce your overclocking ability. I would still wait until April or later to upgrade as then you can get mid-range DX10 cards, unless You want to fork out bigtime for a 8800 series
Nvidia card now. Last week I had one stick of my corsair 512m pc3200c2 DIE followed a few days later with Antec Smartpower 2 500w blowing up, Not related . All voltages were fine. My cheap nasty L&C 400W lasted better and aside from caps needing to be replaced had no problems with current rig.

Antec PSU = possible channelwell OEM and they request craptacular caps :( to be used by the OEM..

Im going to say PSU untill poven otherwise ;)
If its not under warrentee, crack that baby open and take pictures of those capasitors!!! :attn:

Atari said:
Welp... Tis a sad day for me I had a 2.4c northwood running at 3.3ghz for over 3 1/2 years and SNDS finally struck. About 3 weeks ago I noticed my computer freezing occasionaly. Yesterday it completely fell apart. It would have problems even booting up. So I reset the cmos and finally dropped it to 3ghz (any more and it would crash) and all is well again. The voltage just got to it. Well, it's still an amazing chip, but it looks like I'll be upgrading soon.

I raise my glass to my northwood though! Was an awesome ride.

This may be an early stage of bad caps. Did you check the caps on the motherboard?

Back