• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the Reservoir have to be above the Pump? (Sry, newbie question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuya

Registered
I tried searching threads/google, but couldn't find a clear answer. Does the Reservoir have to be above the Pump or can it be below, or about the equal height? My only concern was filling the system with water. If the reservoir is below the pump, will the pump just suck up air and pull the water from the reservoir - is that bad for Pump? o_O

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Kuya

well, you can have the reservoir below the pump if you want, but you are going to need to either fill it and bleed it from another location or change the orientation of the reservoir from high to low after you fill the system. So, yeah, it's much easier to have your reservoir or t-line at the highest point of the system for removing air.

Having the res above the pump will insure that the pump does not run dry. running the pump dry can cause damage and should be avoided.

I dont think you MUST have it below the pump. As long as you can prime the pump with water its all good.

Its a good idea to have the res before the pump so it wont dry out.

Hmmm. I was planning on mounting a 120.3 radiator on the top of my case, meaning no matter where I install a T-line if won't be the higher than my rad. Does that mean the rad will collect air possibly? o_O

Edit: Scratch the Q, I'm going to make anew post about my proposed WC setup.

Last edited:
It might be more difficult to bleed but in all honesty run it for a month or so and the bubbles will eventually come out.

When the system is "finished" it doesn't matter where the reservoir is, but when you're filling and bleeding the system the reservoir should be before and "higher" than the pump. If it isn't this way you run a serious risk of killing your pump. Now, you can tilt the case (or put it on a side) so that the reservoir is higher than the pump for filling and bleeding, but if you can design the configuration so that it'll do that sitting normally it will make your life much easier.

Back