• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can anyone explain to me what this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sinster

Registered
does and what they are used for? I've had this case for almost 3 yrs now and I still don't know their purpose.

DX-01_int1_big.jpg

_slh_ said:
Couldnt be further from the truth. Its a support bracket for old style full length expansion cards.

Then the writer of that review hasnt got a clue what hes talking about. Its a support for cards like this, to stop the rear end of them from drooping once installed

card-s.jpg

_slh_ said:
Couldnt be further from the truth. Its a support bracket for old style full length expansion cards.

I always thought they were for cables and ripped them out to make room. But a card supporter makes sense. And with these newer video cards maybe we'll be using them again! ;)

How in the world would that be a card support? It is attached to the front side of the case next to the Hard drive cage... If you are mounting cards up there you got problems.

There are cards that long, but putting it on that side is kinds dumb. It's already being supported by the slot on that side, so why wouldn't they put it on the other side of the cage and support the (much weaker) outer edge?

Section8 said:
How in the world would that be a card support? It is attached to the front side of the case next to the Hard drive cage... If you are mounting cards up there you got problems.

Look at the picture of the card I posted. See how long it is? Thats why it needs support at the front side of the case.

_slh_ said:
Look at the picture of the card I posted. See how long it is? Thats why it needs support at the front side of the case.

A card would have to be about 15 inches long to reach far enough to make it to that support. I don't think the card you posted looks that long? Is it? Also where that piece of plastic sits is next to the Hard Drive Cage in order for a card to be able to run along the Motherboard and go behind the Hard Drive cage the card could only be like 3/4 inch tall?

Section8 said:
A card would have to be about 15 inches long to reach far enough to make it to that support. I don't think the card you posted looks that long? Is it? Also where that piece of plastic sits is next to the Hard Drive Cage in order for a card to be able to run along the Motherboard and go behind the Hard Drive cage the card could only be like 3/4 inch tall?

The idea is to take the bottom drive cage out if youre using cards that need the bracket. Heres another pic of a longer card:

atc16.gif

See how much extra there is after the edge connector? Thats why it needs extra support. Its very rare youll see anything like that now, Chieftec only include the bracket in their full tower cases now because some RAID cards need it, and the full towers tend to get used as server cases.

I had one of the original soundblaster AWE32 cards, that was the full width of the case, and had its own SIMM memory sockets to upgrade it. An old ISA network card I had was the same.

Tis for routing wires I think. I took the front of my case off and removed it to make more room because it got in the way a lot :p

At first glance I thought for routing wires, but it doesn't make sense for doing that. Think about it, you'd have to weave you wires though it, that would be dumb. My vote is for card support. I could have used it for my nvidia 5950, it was very long and would dip on the back unsupported side, expecially with the waterblock on it. The 8000 series cards would need this too, if I'm not mistaken, they are extremly long.

Its to hold full length cards.

No vid card is full length. I have a 8800Gtx and it is about 4 inches shorter than my full length Raid card.

My old In-Win case had the same long-card support in it. It also a metal bar that special screws would mount in to keep the cards pressed into the sockets as well.
The In-Win had the support full width of the front with two 80mm fans blowing through slots between cards too.

Personally since much of what I need is built on-board of the motherboard, I'd take advantage of that purple thing and clip the legs at the front to use it for wire routing, as long as that wouldn't take away it's mounting support (it might).

BTW, if you look at the blown-apart engineering drawings of many cases, it calls parts like that a card support....

I have the same thing in my Chieftec Dragon. I always thought it was for routing the wires that pass through to the bezel(buttons, indicator lights, front USB) and the power cables for the front fans. I also have some potentiometers strapped to it that are used to control the fan speeds.

I have the Chieftec Scorpio which has the exact same support bracket. It's for full length cards, I cant believe people are questionning that.

Clockwork_Apple said:
I have the Chieftec Scorpio which has the exact same support bracket. It's for full length cards, I cant believe people are questionning that.

I don't so much think there really questioning it per say? I think there asking questions because many of us have never seen it utilized. I never have. Now that someone said that the hard drive cage must be removed in order for a person to use it I understand how it would work :)

Back