• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Driver issue with new mobo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Hey all, my friends motherboard fired a few weeks ago, possibly by electrical short due to to much dust.

So he got a new gigabyte board and 3.2Ghz Skt. 755 processor and everything came today. So he plugged in his hard drive and drives and stuff and not to my surprise windows did not start. It gets to the point where the bios clears and starts loading, then it reboots.

I have never had this problem because I take proper precautions when upgrading CPU/Motherboard. So is there a way to fix his problem? I think windows is in shock of the new hardware and since it can not find the drivers takes a dump on him. Am I able to install the drivers through the recovery console any way?

For your info, he got a GA-8VM800M-775, and a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz Skt. 775 processor.

Thanks!

well first off if he upgraded to the same motherboard that alone would be grounds for speculation of a need to reinstall. Heck if you get a new processor it would sometimes be easier and cleaner to reinstall. But upgrading to a completely different motherboard? I am absolutely not at all surprised that you will need to reinstall.

In this process right now with a friends computer. Put a new mobo, cpu and ram in (to a 2.4P4 from a 1.2 PIII). Personally I would had just started fresh but he's hard headed and doesnt want to. Back at it tomorrow. :D

Back