• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Draft N wireless card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chevro1et

Looking at buying a Dell lappy, have the option of the N Draft card or the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 card. Is it even worth it for the Draft N card? Its only $50 to add, so unless someone has something really negative to say about it, I may just throw it in there...

EDIT: Its actually the Dell Draft N card, not an Intel card. My bad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't imagine it'll hurt anything. If you can spend the extra cash, then I say why not. If you ever upgrade to an N Router, you'll have a little more speed. (though I'll say I've never been unhappy with my 3945ABG card)

get the 3945 its a great card and if you do want to go N in the future, once it actually comes out, its not like wireless cards are expensive anyways...

Xenocide said:
get the 3945 its a great card and if you do want to go N in the future, once it actually comes out, its not like wireless cards are expensive anyways...

Yea, good point. I have been doing some reading about the N, sorry for the noobish question, but what is the likelihood that I would actually encounter a node/ hotspot that actually is using N within the next 6 months? From what I have read, the final N standard isn't scheduled until Oct 2008 :shrug:

chevro1et said:
Yea, good point. I have been doing some reading about the N, sorry for the noobish question, but what is the likelihood that I would actually encounter a node/ hotspot that actually is using N within the next 6 months? From what I have read, the final N standard isn't scheduled until Oct 2008 :shrug:

Doubleful that you will use it, I'd say.

The 3945 ABG that I have is great....maybe a useful upgrade would be the bluetooth combo instead?

chevro1et said:
but what is the likelihood that I would actually encounter a node/ hotspot that actually is using N within the next 6 months?

Very, very unlikely. Any commercial place will want reliability and compatibility. It would only be worth it if you were buying a pre-n access point from the same company (don't know if they're interoperable, since they are somewhat proprietary) and if you had the money to spare to upgrade again once the standard is ratified.

Back