• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam account stolen!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil_inc

My friend had his steam account stolen. He lent the account to another friend who bought a game and put it on the account. Since hacking up a password for steam is very difficult because of steams security I would like to just harass the hell out of him and possibly get his email address. Is there anyway I can do that and also obtain his ip address?... LEAGALY

The only way I think Valve would go along with this is if you had some sort of documentation. Did you friend pay for the account electronically?

I don't mean to preach, but never give your personal information out, especially friends.

Just report it to Valve. Don't lower yourself to his level by harassing him, he won't return the account that way.

Evil_inc said:
My friend had his steam account stolen. He lent the account to another friend who bought a game and put it on the account. Since hacking up a password for steam is very difficult because of steams security I would like to just harass the hell out of him and possibly get his email address. Is there anyway I can do that and also obtain his ip address?... LEAGALY

I don't think any of us want to engage in that kind of talk.

Your friend didn't have his account stolen. He gave his personal account to a friend, which is against Valve's TOS, I'm sure. So he's out of luck, probably.

Lesson learned.

Contact Valve with the situation. In a worse case scenario, they say he is SOL. In a best case scenario, they ask for proof of purchase (IE, picture of your friend holding the box and receipt or something of the sort), then reset the account.

I know people (well, one person) who dealt with the same situation. he just got in contact with steam, proved he was the buyer and they turned the account back over to him. not a problem at all.

Sorry to thread jack, but GO BEARS!!!!!!!

Like a few others have recommened, call up steam and tell them what happend, they'll probably ask for a picture of a reciept or box and then they'll straighten it out for him.

This happened to me recently. I got everything situated after contacting Steam. This is what happened:

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To update this question by email, please reply to this message. Because your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of this message will be discarded.

[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

To update your question from our support site, click here.

Subject
CD KEY Hijacked??

Discussion Thread
Response (Justin) 12/13/2006 05:18 PM
Hello,

I have added the game subscription to your account.

To ensure you have immediate access, I have reset your account password and sent the new login information in a separate e-mail.

If you do not receive the e-mail and you are running a Spam filter, check and make sure the e-mail is not being filtered as spam.

Note: Passwords are all numbers.

Please let us know if you encounter any further difficulty.
Customer (JAson Bergman) 12/13/2006 04:40 PM
lemme know if these turn out ok

==================== image File Attachment ====================
DSCN0880 (Large).JPG, 80332 bytes, added to incident

DSCN0881 (Large).JPG, 90447 bytes, added to incident

DSCN0882 (Large).JPG, 69704 bytes, added to incident

DSCN0883 (Large).JPG, 101607 bytes, added to incident

DSCN0884 (Large).JPG, 99298 bytes, added to incident

DSCN0886 (Large).JPG, 95537 bytes, added to incident

DSCN0888 (Large).JPG, 90160 bytes, added to incident

DSCN0889 (Large).JPG, 92168 bytes, added to incident
Response (Justin) 12/13/2006 12:32 PM
Can you take a picture of your CD Key infront of your monitor with this support ticket in the background and attach it with your reply?
Customer (JAson Bergman) 12/12/2006 04:35 PM
It has always been registered to *********

I've gone through a couple reformats in the past year and just got around to reinstalling it. I installed the game, logged into steam, then tried to enter the key in the 'Activate a product on STEAM'. That's when I get the duplicate key error and it won't let me play without activating them.
Response (Justin) 12/12/2006 01:33 PM
A CD Key may only be registered to one Steam Account at a time. Subsequent attempts to register a CD Key that is already associated with a Steam Account will result in a "duplicate cd key" message.

What is the name of the Steam Account that you originally registered this CD Key to?
Customer (JAson Bergman) 12/12/2006 06:15 AM
I bought the game when it came out and I no longer have the receipt. What else can I do?
Customer (JAson Bergman) 12/10/2006 11:56 AM
I bought this game when it first came out so I don't have my receipt from over a year ago, I don't even know who would still have theirs. Here is the email from Apr 8th when it was still working. Obviously I had access then, and now I don't.

From : <[email protected]> Go to previous message | Go to next message | Delete | Inbox
Sent : Saturday, April 8, 2006 9:34 PM
To : [email protected]
Subject : Steam account - Query account by CD key

Dear Steam user,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is
being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account
names associated with a particular CD key.

Steam account name: *******

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember

==================== text File Attachment ====================
Attachment 2.txt, 10762 bytes, added to incident
Response (Justin) 12/08/2006 04:51 PM
Hello,

In order to reset your CD Key we require a digital photo or scan of the receipt for your recent purchase (we accept receipts issued within the last ninety days).

We do not accept receipts from auction sites or in cases in which the game has been resold by another individual.

Please include a digital photo or scan of your purchase receipt with your reply.
Customer (JAson Bergman) 12/06/2006 06:01 AM
What is your Steam account username? *****

What was the last contact e-mail address you used on the account? [email protected]

Verify your ownership of the account:
If you registered software purchased at a retail location, please include a digital photo or scan of the CD Key

see attachment

When do you believe your account was hijacked? Apr 8 it was OK, now I get error when trying to register the key to the game.

How do you believe your account was hijacked? No idea

Please reset the key or whatever you need to do so I can play again. I have owned this game since the day it came out.
Auto-Response 12/06/2006 06:01 AM
Title: Reclaiming a Hijacked Steam Account
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi...opup_adp.php?p_faqid=197&p_created=1093809052

Title: CD Key Reset Process
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi...popup_adp.php?p_faqid=70&p_created=1092517154

Title: Error: Duplicate CD Key
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi...opup_adp.php?p_faqid=507&p_created=1159837344

Question Reference #061206-000097
Product Level 1: STEAM
Category Level 1: CD Key and Installation Questions
Category Level 2: Move or Reset CD Key
Date Created: 12/06/2006 06:01 AM
Last Updated: 12/13/2006 05:18 PM
CD-Key:
Account Name

Thanks,
Justin
Steam Tech Support

Your Steam ID and password are confidential information. A Valve employee will never ask you for your password in an unsolicited phone call or email message. Do not respond to any message that asks for your password. For more information about protecting your account click the link below:

Password and Account Security

Last edited:
account theft is very easy to do im afraid but one good thing is its a illegal and he will get busted if the the Valve server records the logins on the account. good luck hope your friend gets his account back.

Back