• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6600 or E6700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WJ

Registered
Ive tried to calculate the prices after the price drop and the 6600 would be roughly 270 and the 6700 would be about 370, now the difference is that the 6700 has a 10x multiplier and has ~200 mhz more, now is the 6700 more worth it? also is it a better overclocker? which ones do you guys think is the better one to go for

6600 your not gonna get more out of the 6700 overclocking

if your not gonna OC then 6700 but even the worse 6600's do 3.0 on stock volts.

is $200 really worth 260mhz? when the $300 6600 does 3.0 so easy which is past x6800 clocks....

E6600

Take that extra C note and put it into a better motherboard, video card, powersupply, memory, etc.

yeah, looks to be almost a $200 difference on newegg.

Either way, there's not much need to get an E6700 if you are overclocking. An E6600 will clock just as well as the E6700. With an E6600 Most people hit 3.4-3.6Ghz on good air cooling. (assuming you have a board that will do 400Mhz FSB)

I am very happy with my E6600. I am temp limited (as I expect most people to be) so an E6700 would not have increased my overclock.

I expect most people would fall in this category as well.

Figure out what the weakest link in your system is and your strongest one. If you can guaranteed you are FSB limited...the 6700 might be worth it. If you are on phase it might be worth it as well.

If you are using air or water cooling I'd expect you to see similar results with either chip.

oh ishould be good then, i got water coolling, i guess ill go for the E6600 but what about increasing voltage isnt that bad for the components?

increasing the voltage can reduce the lifespan of the cpu/mobo/ram/videocard..basically everything. its a risk you take.

your cpu however, if you keep the voltage under 1.5v, and the temps under 60c, it would still live for years and years and years. i've got a p4 2.4c that has been running at 3.5ghz for the last 4 years. still going strong. ;)

Back