• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive makes noises with battery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

I have dell e1405 laptop. When laptop is plug to power unit the hard drive doesn't make any sounds. Now when running on battery hard drive starts making anoying noise. It gets worse as battery goes down in charge. I don't know if this is normal but it doesn't affect laptop's performance, I think.

I don't know what to do with it. When I am in a quiet room it is really anoying. I could either have dell repair it or replace it with different drive. Hard drive is made by fujistsu. Temps are around 35c.

well now`s a good time
to swap out that old hard drive
and put in a 7200 rpm drive
and speed up your laptop

fujitsu were a trouble - some drive
i went through several of them before switching to samsung drives

What programs do you have running in the background? Try Disabling programs that might be altering the performance of the drive in a different power state. Try switching your power profile to "Always On" to see if that helps.

ozzlo said:
What programs do you have running in the background? Try Disabling programs that might be altering the performance of the drive in a different power state. Try switching your power profile to "Always On" to see if that helps.
I tried all of the profiles, it doesn't help. I believe the noise occurs when there something constantly being displayed. Like with windows media player, or Internet website with flash inserts in them.

vulcanman09 said:
fujitsu were a trouble - some drive
i went through several of them before switching to samsung drives

I found this the strange, my gateway LOVED its fujitsu hd.. lasted 3-4 years and died. I bought a samsung 40gb.. it has like 600 5star newegg reviews, and its constantly throwing up errors in the device log of windows. The first one i had just completly stopped working after about 2 days.

Back