• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"NAV"2001 NOT GOOD?I DONT THINK SO:rolleyes:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trapper

"NAV"2001 not good?I DONT THINK SO:rolleyes:

BTW just 4 the record i seen a post gibing Norton AV a bad bit press(ha!) Wel i been using it ever since i learned about such apps as "softice" by numega' and "hiew" (aka trappersfew!!!!!!) to name but 2,
Anyway some will compprehend

so stop talking gash and maketh thyne poinytus:- been formatting and installing different oses last 2 shifts(daze) and had to re-install my NAV 2001 ANTI-VIRI so i did the honours and done full sys scan(16.6gigs) thats doing compressed ie ZIP filez to and it took 11mins and scanned inside over 20,000 filez it dutifully found 3 variants of a trojan horse proggy(touch of class in programming)(shame on me and others who appreciate a good viri) i am reasearching and was aware they were there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So to the man who cites a website sponsored by macafee that shows the weaknesses in the worlds leading AV appz and DECLARES IN OPEN FORUM THAT NORTON IS NO GOOD (AND THIS MACAFEE SPONSErED website has the EVIDENCE!!!) I have to say we are all entitled to our opinions {and you U.S.of A dudez love your right to free speech}NAY NAY AND THRICE NAY (NORTON IS ! OF THE BEST IF NOT THEE BEST. period:rolleyes:

NOTE:- Post edited by UnseenMenace (Forum Moderator)
It is worth remembering that this forum is used by people of all ages and as such the language used in each post should consider this, the title of this post and some content has been edited for this reason - UnseenMenace

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Norton for a number of years and consider it to be reasonable but I would most certainly not describe it as the 'best' for the simple reason that Norton is a system resource hog. All Antivirus software has flaws and each has an advantage over another but be in no doubt that Norton as with all others do not detect 'everything' and I know for a fact that Nortons trojan detection is most certainly not up to the standard of The Cleaner from moosoft. Obviously everyone's view is valid and even though I myself use Norton I do not consider it to be the best.

Last edited:
Trapper - Please note UnseenMenace's comments in your post.

It might be worth your while noting the nationalities of the two people that have replied to you in this thread......

We're not all U S of A-ers here you know...........

I use PC-Cillan as an A.V. program, and ZoneAlarm does a pretty good job of filtering out most viruses.

I've used Norton for a good long time, and as I said in a previous thread, it has saved my tail too many times. As far as Trojans go, I have a fine selection of Trojan stompers. I don't rely on Norton to find them, but if it does, one less step to follow.

I would rate the program in the top 3 for virus protection.
It is true about it being a resource hog, but thats a hog that saves me alot of time, so I'll keep it!

i apologise for using the word Cr*p as i do not consider this offensive but im no MOD so once again my apologies ........

As far as the av goes your right its not going to be without flaws 'such is the nature of software' but pc-cillin is pretty poor as was pointed out in the latest isse of .ne where they try and test 10 av suites pc=cillin missed to 'in the wild ' viri that norton captured every thing they testers could throw at it and some of the tests were made deliberately harder but nav still got em,

maybe you should try command av (its 100% free) and i used it for a while but as i was playing with some wooden horses and script at the time it was TOO GOOD! as it wont let nothing d-o-d-g-y happen even if you want to !
But at the end of the day its all about opinions and each and every 1 of us are entitled to that,so if it suits your needs use it.

on the point of NAV being a resource sucker , What resources does it detract from? i only have a small rig and have loads of resource intensive s/ware on my comp but surely the only resources it uses other than when you use the prog is disk space?no?and if you keep a clean house and run from cd unless necessary, maximum resources would be in effect at all times other than when the s/ware is ran.........i got a full deck of top software on my hdd and still get a 95.7 passmark 188 mflops

Back