• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for Crossfire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pomegranate

Is it true that you need a single-12V-rail PSU for Crossfire? I bought a Silverstone ST60F(quad rails) for an upcoming build and I hope I didn't make a mistake. I'm looking at an Asus P5B deluxe motherboard and want to be able to Crossfire in the future should I need more grafix performance. I like to keep my upgrade path unobstructed.

You do not need a single rail it will work fine with what you have. People only say this because of increased stability on single rails. what I mean is that say your 12v1 is maxed out and 12v2 is relatively idle you won't be able to use that extra power that is going unused. Note that not all PSU's behave this way and if one rail gets to its limit it can draw off of the others, so this issue might not even be the case for you. Silverstone is a very good brand of PSU so i'm going to be daring and say that you probably will not have any problems, even with Crossfire.

If you wanted crossfire stup you should have gone with p5w dh motherboard to get full benefit of it.

As goes for crossfire and that psu. It will probably run current graphic cards in crossfire setup with out much problem but all will depend on other components in your setup as well. Upcoming cards from ati R600 will be power hungry. So power hungry that they even need 8pin.

Last edited:
meionm said:
If you wanted crossfire stup you should have gone with p5w dh motherboard to get full benefit of it.

As goes for crossfire and that psu. It will probably run current graphic cards in crossfire setup with out much problem but all will depend on other components in your setup as well. Upcoming card from ati R600 will be power hungry. So power hungry that they even make 8pin plug for it.
I haven't bought a mobo yet, still just shopping. How is the P5w dh better for crossfire? Is the 975x chipset designed for multi-GPU?

Pomegranate said:
I haven't bought a mobo yet, still just shopping. How is the P5w dh better for crossfire? Is the 975x chipset designed for multi-GPU?
P5w dh will run both cards in crossifre at 8x width of pci express each, while p5b dlx will run one 8x and other 4x. There is about 10% difference between p5b dlx and p5w in same crossfire setup. The difference has little to do with second card running at 4x, p5b dlx is just slower. I was checking benches of these two one day. It was mentioned that the difference on p5w dh running both cards 8x/8x vs. same board running 8x/4x is about to 1%

Last edited:
meionm said:
P5w dh will run both cards in crossifre at 8x width of pci express each, while p5b dlx will run one 8x and other 4x. There is about 10% difference between p5b dlx and p5w in same crossfire setup.

Thanks, dude! Very good info there. Does this info apply to all motherboards using these chipsets?

Pomegranate said:
Thanks, dude! Very good info there. Does this info apply to all motherboards using these chipsets?
Pretty much, 965 suppose to be a value board. Though if you would run just one graphic card it would not make much difference which chipest it would use.

If you are looking for corssfire setup probably the best way to look for either board with 975 chipest or RD600

archerman said:
Why in the world would someone want to spend that much on an AMD system now? :confused:

It depends on the CPU and the power needs of one of the cards.. if the CPU needs more the 18 12V amps overclocked or a single GFX in the rig then yes a single rail PSU is basicly needed, if not its not nessary.

Back