• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ran out of virtual memory ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

i was buring a DVD and i got a "ran out of virtual memory error."

I have no paging set to = 0
Under the C:\ it says space available: 31369MB

See anything wrong ?

Attachments

• scrreen.JPG
    scrreen.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 65
DSM4Life said:
I have no paging set to = 0
See anything wrong ?
emmmm yea, you have no paging set to = 1

unless what you're saying you've had a page file set on C and/or D and now it is no more for some unexplained reason.

WOW I have yet to get a VM error with 2GB of RAM.

You are going to have to set a pagefile. Set min and max to the same size to prevent fragmentation of your harddrive.

Also if you have a 2nd HDD, and its as fast as your primary, then put the pagefile on that. If you only have one harddrive, put hte pagefile on C:

Although, you should not need PF for DVD burning as it swaps to a folder in D&S I believe...

Neur0mancer said:
WOW I have yet to get a VM error with 2GB of RAM.

You are going to have to set a pagefile. Set min and max to the same size to prevent fragmentation of your harddrive.

Also if you have a 2nd HDD, and its as fast as your primary, then put the pagefile on that. If you only have one harddrive, put hte pagefile on C:

Although, you should not need PF for DVD burning as it swaps to a folder in D&S I believe...

Neuro,

Coincidentally I had a similar message this morning but not quite as final while running Orthos:

"Low Page File Memory"

However I have my page file upper and lower ends set to the same size 1.5 GB on C:\. Never encountered this message before and was running a "custom" setup in Orthos with 386 MB for each core. Hasn't happened again.

Sometimes applications just look for that swap space and complain if it is set to 0, no matter how much RAM you have. I usually just set my SWAP to a set amount and leave it alone knowing that I have my 2GB of RAM and it will never really be used.

Back