• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar P4M80-M4 - No beeps....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

megadeus

Registered
Please bare with me here as I try to explain what I have built. It's sort of a "Frankenstein" system.

Case = Gateway "GP" series.
PSU - Sparkle 300W
MB = Biostar P4M80-M4
Video - Onboard (for testing purposes)
HD - 10gb (No OS - Again, for testing purposes)
CPU - Intel (IBM G40 laptop). **More info below**
Memory - IBM 33L5039 ECC DIMM (PC2100, CL2.5 1gb)

Alright, this CPU/MB was pieced together. I choose the Biostar because of the CPU support and the answers I got from OCForums to my questions on what MB to use with this CPU.

Upon initial boot all I got was the CPU cooling fan and the PSU fan. Dummy me forgot to plug in the 12v connection for the CPU - Done.

2nd attempt at a boot - HD powered up, fans came on, but no BEEPS and no video. I checked the manual and it suggested re-seating the memory. Did this, still the same thing. I hit up our PC tech at work and he said it could be either the memory or the CPU.

Some more info on the memory: This is apparently server memory. I borrowed it from my other job to see if this system would work. It's PC2100 which "should" work with this MB. I checked Biostars website and followed a link to Kingston site. On there they only have 333 and 400 listed for memory that is compatible with this MB.

So, this is where I am: System powers up but no boot, no bios beeps, no video. The power LED on the case is yellow.

Just for giggles I removed the memory and powered the system up. The same thing happened. So, to me, an untrained PC tech, this is telling me that the memory is the culprit and not the CPU.

I do have a stick of PC3200 to test but I won't be able to test it until Monday.

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!
Paul

Back