• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to the Dark Side

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

68Injunhed

Well, never really thought I'd say it, since I've been an AMD fan for a long time, but I'm going to build an Intel-based system.:eek: Here are my plans, any input is always appreciated:

Since I want the full Conroe effect, 4mb cache, the works, I'm going with the E6600. For simplicity's sake, the P5B-Deluxe seems to be the board. I want me some of that Matrix RAID action.

Now as far as memory goes, I had some great results with some cheap value Wintec sticks on my s939(3-3-3-8 1T@246 from $170 2gb kit, rated for 3-3-3-8 @200), and was seriously looking at these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820161063

I'm waiting to hear back from them on their warranty policy. If it's lifetime, I'm going to try them. 400FSB gives me rated memory speed at 4-4-4-10, which is pretty nice, 3.6 from the Conroe...gotta love it.

Is 3.6 reasonable from a 6600 with good water cooling? I thought about going back to air for quiet running(and more fundage for the build after selling my h2o stuff here:) ), but the 1900XT I plan on running could use the water.

I did think about air, but I already have the water set-up, and I'm sure I can get more out of the X1900XT I'm going to use with water cooling.

I have been reading about some issues with the 965 chipset though. There is some kind of "dead" area between 360-399 FSB that screws up the memory bandwidth? What if the CPU I buy won't go to the full 400FSB? This is turning into a PITA and I haven't even bought anything yet.:mad:

an hr-03 with a 92mm fan will let you overclock that xtx to its max and still have good temps. As far as overclocking the cpu, if you get a top end cooler, you can pump around 1.55vcore and still get load temps of under 60c. Water cooling is spending a lot more money for minimal thermal performance gain. Personally, if I need more cooling than air, I would go phase. But thats just me. Oh and btw...welcome to the dark side, brother :beer: (lol oblivion)

I'm going water because I already have the stuff, no added expense there, worst I'll have to do is get a Storm, which I was thinkng about doing anyways, and I'm not aware of any air solution for that video card that will cool as well as my Maze 5, it keeps my 7950GT@675 core running at 37c load :)

Wouldn't lower temps make stuff last longer/run more stable? I mean, is there a reason I WOULDN'T want to use my water gear?

Last edited:
If I wasn't so afraid of leaks I would use water in my system. Check my sig I have my 6600 running smooth and stable at 3.2 (400 * 8) and my temps stay under 40 idle and just barely 50 load on air. I bet if I had water I can get 3.6 - 3.8 easily. I say go for it mate...it's only money!

But I hsve to push you on the P5W DH Dlx...it has been a great board for me and this is my first OCing experience. And if you plan on XFiring that GPU in the future P5W DH Dlx gets better ratings than P5B everywhere. That being said I do believe the P5B can get past the 500mhz mark where I am not so sure about the P5W DH.

Enter the new Asus Commando...DFI ICFX3200...etc...so many choices.

I hear you, but at this point I don't see me having a need for dual GPU's. If anything, if I ever feel I need to runDX10, I'll buy one of the newer cards, but even then it'll be just 1 of them. Just having a Conroe at around 3.5, and Matrix RAID oughta make me wonder why I didn't do this already.

If I didn't already have all this money that I can never get back tied up in a water system, I would just go air, but I do, so I won't..hehe

And if you use good parts, and stainless hose clamps, you don't get leaks.

I'd go with the P5W DH Deluxe over the P5B Deluxe. You might want to get G.SKILLs or Crucial Ballistix over the original memory you posted. D9 Chip based memory sticks are the best performing.

Nathan0490 said:
I'd go with the P5W DH Deluxe over the P5B Deluxe. You might want to get G.SKILLs or Crucial Ballistix over the original memory you posted. D9 Chip based memory sticks are the best performing.

I was under the impression that unless you were running a 63 or 6400 which needs to go beyond 400FSB, the D9's were just additional unnecessary expense. I was trying to get the tightest CAS 4 timings I could find.

I looked at those, and the Geils, but consider this:

With my A8N-E that I have now, the cheapie Wintec DDR400 I had(2 single 1g sticks, bought at seperate times, just used it because I had it, that kind of thing), complete in all its 3-3-3-8 2t SPD glory, would run at 246.5, 3-3-3-8 1T, 2.8v, scoring over 6000 in both aspects of the Sandra bandwidth tests, which NEITHER set of my "good" memory kits will do on this board. PC4000 kits, gSkill HZ's, and OCZ XTC plats. I can't get them to run at 1T to save my life at anything over 235. I have the Plats in the machine right now, scoring less than 5000 on those tests, at 3-3-3-8 2T, at the same FSB setting as the Wintecs.

Those Wintec's I found at the 'Egg say 4-4-4-10, which is better than the gSkill's or the Geils advertised timings. If they e-mail me back saying they have a lifetime warranty like the "Big Boys", I'm gonna get them. If I'm wrong, and they won't run what they say they will, I'll return them and get something else.

Well in that case, I'll just get the gSkills, I know they have a good warranty.

Well, I did it!

Asus P5B-E:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131070

Got the E6600 to go with it, as well as the Team Extreem DDR2 800 from Tank-guys. The gSkills from newegg were out of stock.

I think this will be a smokin' system with a deathclocked 1900XT. Now to order a new CPU block. I don't think this s939 TDX is gonna work anymore ;)

EDIT-

Couldn't find a Storm in stock anywhere, so I got a D-Tek Fuzion.

Last edited:
Got my E6600 and board in today. Should get my Fuzion and my memory in tommorrow. Gotta slipstream a .iso for Matrix RAID and back some stuff up tonight, tommorrow is build day! Can't wait to see what this "F" will do with water cooling.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!:beer:

Got a bunch of crap to download, drivers to install, all that, but it seems to be running nicely. Stock everything, holding 27c idle in hardware monitor in BIOS...gotta love it. I noticed immediately how SMOOTH the Windows progree bar is...no stutters like my Opty had...at least for the 2 times it goes across..lol

Oh, and in case you get confused like I did....it isn't "cntrl-"L" to access the Matrix RAID utility in BIOS....it is cntrl-"I"...in the Asus book, it looks just like a lower case "L". I was cussin up a storm til I figured that out.

The Fuzion is a very nice piece. 3.6+ here I come!

OK, I'm having issues. It's one of 2 things. Either I have a bum chip, or I don't know what I'm doing...probably the latter, at least I hope.

OK, downloaded TAT, Idle shows 16/20, load 33/29 so temps are outstanding.

CPU-Z shows voltage at 1.213, although it is set to 1.4825 in BIOS, and shows 1.45 there in Hardware Monitor. So the board is undervolting. Fine. I can compensate for that. Still don't understand why CPU-Z shows such low voltage.

I cannot run 400FSB at x8 multi, 400x7 is good. I can run 325X9, but 350 won't boot Windows. I haven't run a long run of Orthos yet, but all test run for at least 20 minutes fine at whatever settings I can boot into Windows. Super Pi times in the 1M are sub 18 seconds. The systems seems to run fine if it boots into Windows.

Memory is 4-4-4-10, 2.0v, it is the Team Group D9 stuff. I am running it 1:1, set in bios at 533.

Ideas?

EDIT:

I think this board is a POS. It undervolts like crazy. Is there a Droop mod for it?

Last edited:
First, ignore CPU-Z vcore readings, for some reason it almost never reads these Core 2 Duo processors correctly.

Second, if you haven't already updated the BIOS, then that's the next thing to do. Revert back to default speed and settings before attempting a flash though.

Now when you try overclocking again, give the chipset a little more voltage. That motherboard is good, just needs some tweaking. Hang in there, we'll get you up and running.

Back