• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Unplugged?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Hello all, I seem to have a problem with my vid card. When I log in I get this window:

power.jpg

The system worked last night, but when I started a game up this morning, I was pulling 5x slower frame rate. I have reinstalled the drivers, tried another PCIx16 power connector, and have removed and cleaned the entire card. When I was cleaning it, I did not notice anything physically wrong with the card. I have not tried my second PCIx16 slot because of clearance issues. I have not had time to reflash the card because I do not have a working floppy drive at the moment (waiting for someone to get back...). Any ideas? :confused:

Thideras

maybe your PSU can't handle everything anymore. like this picture says. it's not getting enough juice. maybe try a different PSU.... if ya have an extra sitting around.

ChinStrap said:
maybe your PSU can't handle everything anymore. like this picture says. it's not getting enough juice. maybe try a different PSU.... if ya have an extra sitting around.

I first thought that might be the case, so I dropped everything back to stock and unplugged anything I didn't need. It still came up with the same window. I've been searching around alot, do you think that reflashing the BIOS could fix it? I really hope that power supply isn't starting to give out, I just got the thing (specs in sig).

EDIT: making some calls, gonna see if I can get my hands on a 1000w.

thideras said:
I first thought that might be the case, so I dropped everything back to stock and unplugged anything I didn't need. It still came up with the same window. I've been searching around alot, do you think that reflashing the BIOS could fix it? I really hope that power supply isn't starting to give out, I just got the thing (specs in sig).

600W should be more than enough for that system. I would try re-flashing it back to stock, but honestly I don't know.
Dan

BobcatDan said:
600W should be more than enough for that system. I would try re-flashing it back to stock, but honestly I don't know.
Dan

Thanks, I'm just waiting for someone to return so I can steal their floppy drive...:santa:

In the meantime, I'm going to reinstall windows an another hard drive.

thideras said:

you know the 600w should be great for that set up... i have a 500 running mine and she stays nice and cool. i dont think theres much of load on it. even when i went from my 6800 to my 8800.

maybe if you can get your hands on the 1K and everything runs good - then i would look at the PSU.

. man i wish i could help out more... :-/ i wish you luck

Yea, 600 is more than enough, easily. It could be a bad PSU though, it happens; even on the best of units.

Could the plug or wired be faulty?

I just got back up from updating the BIOS, and it's a no-go. System still says that it is not plugged in. I have tried the other plug that is in the computer...anyone else?

Otherwise next paycheck 8800gts :santa:

Last edited:
Might be worth checking, card came with adapter 6 pin adapter from 2 4 pin molex plugs. You might want to give it a shot.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
Sounds like the card is bad to me. But it sounds more like the plug on the card is effed.

I assume when you say the plug is horked, the voltage isn't getting to the board. I check it last night to make sure it was getting to the board, and it was registering 12.08v.

meionm said:
Might be worth checking, card came with adapter 6 pin adapter from 2 4 pin molex plugs. You might want to give it a shot.

Love to, but I'm at college right now and don't really have access to it, but I really don't think it is the plug...

Is there a way to force it not to check if it has power? I don't have another hard drive I can test it in, so I can't really see if it is a software problem.

core2due said:
You could try reinstalling the drivers.

Did, removed the drivers/software and removed them from the Windows directory and restarted. Installed directly from the nVidia site, still no-go.

Thanks for ideas guys!! :thup:

That sounds like a bad connection to me. Have you checked the PCI-E connector with a multimeter? Are the contacts on any connector rusted?

dan

Dan0512 said:
That sounds like a bad connection to me. Have you checked the PCI-E connector with a multimeter? Are the contacts on any connector rusted?

dan

Yes, there is power to the connector 12.08v and also at the solder points for the connector on the board.

If you can I would try a graphics card like a 7600gt that doesn't need the 6 pin pci-e power.
If you still get the error then you can say it is either the PSU or the motherboard not allowing the right power through the pci-e port.
Just a stab in the dark to possibly rule out a psu connector or graphics card fault.

grayg said:
If you can I would try a graphics card like a 7600gt that doesn't need the 6 pin pci-e power.
If you still get the error then you can say it is either the PSU or the motherboard not allowing the right power through the pci-e port.
Just a stab in the dark to possibly rule out a psu connector or graphics card fault.

Sorry, but I don't have an extra PCI-Ex16 card anywhere, this is actually the first one I purchased. I'll ask around and see if I can use someone else's video card...

I didn't see anyone mention it so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Do you have a BIOS option to increase the PCI-E voltage? If so, try bumping it up a notch.

From the sounds of it you've checked the main power connection and it is working just fine. Maybe increase the mobo's supply voltage will fix it?

Just a thought.

EDIT: AHA! I did a search and found this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/abit-aw9d-max_4.html

According to the second picture you have the option to increase the MCH/PCI-E voltage.

Bump it up and let us know what happens.

EDIT#2: You also said you haven't tried the second slot due to clearance issues. Did you ever get around to making room and trying it? That would be the next thing I would try.

satandole666 said:
I didn't see anyone mention it so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Do you have a BIOS option to increase the PCI-E voltage? If so, try bumping it up a notch.

From the sounds of it you've checked the main power connection and it is working just fine. Maybe increase the mobo's supply voltage will fix it?

Just a thought.

EDIT: AHA! I did a search and found this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/abit-aw9d-max_4.html

According to the second picture you have the option to increase the MCH/PCI-E voltage.

Bump it up and let us know what happens.

EDIT#2: You also said you haven't tried the second slot due to clearance issues. Did you ever get around to making room and trying it? That would be the next thing I would try.

Lol, my voltage for that is set at 2.0v, I hope that is enough, since the stock is 1.5v...

I can try to move it down, but I really think the card is fried. I forgot to mention this, but it locked that night while playing a game. I restarted, but it didn't give me that error. But when I started it up the next day, it did. When I reinstalled the drivers and restarted, it didn't give the error. I had thought that had fixed it, but I still couldn't change my clock settings. So I restarted and it gave that error again. I think everything is adding up to a fried card...

Back