• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extnal Hard Drive no longer works USB hub issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have no ideas what's going on with this. When I installed my board and got it up and running again, fresh install of winxp pro for the OS, all drivers working including SATA it works great. BUT for 1 small problem.

I cannot figure out why I am having sporadic connection problems with my external hard drive. The external drive is an IDE drive, Seagate 160gig drive. I used it once to dump a bunch of files onto it. Connected it to my current computer about a month ago. Now, when I use this new USB2.0 cable I got from BestBuy (Dynex) and I connect the drive to any USB port on the back of the computer, it doesn't mount.

In the device manager it reads there's a yellow exclamation point on the Generic USB Hub. I click on it to find out what's wrong I see this message in the properties dialog box "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

NOW, if I switch back to the old cable. I get a different error. In the device manager, right above 3 USB Root Hub listings, it reads "Unknown Device". If I click on the properties I see the following note: "No drivers are installed for this device. "

Now out of curiosity, I had shut down my computer for a few hours, turned it on w/my external hard drive plugged in, but not powered on. Then I powered it on, and the damn thing mounted w/out a problem. I unplugged it, and I cannot get it to mount again...ANY IDEAS?????????????????

Incidently if I plug in a different external hard drive into my USB hub, it doesn't register at all. Not even the little beep sound of a USB device being connected to the computer.

HELP please.

Last edited:
Back