• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modem as bridge << HELP<<<

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does the service use PPPoE ?

In my case, I can login to the HTML interface for my modem, and set it so that the PPPoE location is "on computer" instead of "on modem". then I set my router with the PPPoE settings. This essentially bridges the modem and makes it invisible.

I also have qwest DSL, but I have the GT701-WG, and tried to do this very same thing with my WRT54G. I ended up finding out that you actually have to have a router or switch that supports PPPoA, not PPPoE. I thought about switching to the local cable company, but they only offer half the speed for more money, so I'm sticking with Qwest.

hmmm, to bad, because thats what I have for the router.
Ill call customer service tomorrow see what they going to tell me about that.
Thanks

What sort of issues are you having that you need to bridge the modem like that?

I've currently got my modem set to handle the PPPoE and through DHCP it sets my routers info....it works fine so far (been going that way for a few weeks now, used to do it the other way, but decided this was easier because I can still access the modem setup page without having to rewire. So my modem is 192.168.0.1 and the router is 192.168.1.1

I tried it just because I don't like the idea of a router behind a router sort of situation. Although I set the modem to DMZ to the router, and then use the router for the port forwarding, and all the wireless functions. I could have used the modem for the wireless and wired, but I like the Linksys so much better. It gives me a lot more security options for my network than the GT701-WG.

Thats what I did it leaves all the ports open to the router, and then let the router take care of everything. Just make sure to set the DMZ to the IP the modem is giving to the router and you should be fine. I've been running this way for about 6 months now, problem free until I tried to set my modem as a bridge.

Back