• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying Windows XP Now that vista launch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

Vista Question

Boss told me to purchase another Laptop for the shop and It looks like I waited too long. Everyone is selling Vista Only. I need the OS to be able to access the 2003 server and perform every feature XP Pro allowed. Which operating system would work? I am also interested in finding out if anyone knows how I could go back to XP Pro on these units.

Thanks

Last edited:
jstutman said:
Boss told me to purchase another Laptop for the shop and It looks like I waited too long. Everyone is selling Vista Only. I need the OS to be able to access the 2003 server and perform every feature XP Pro allowed. Which operating system would work? I am also interested in finding out if anyone knows how I could go back to XP Pro on these units.

Thanks
Why won't vista work?

He has said that he does not want/prefer Vista. He would like for me to purchase windows XP. However I explained to him that vista has launched and everyone is selling Vista. Im curious on if I can find a copy of XP pro, The drivers will be availabe, I mean there all selling the same machine, just with windows vista installed.

Look for open box models. There is bound to be some open box deals or clearance onces that have XP on it. If you do buy one with Vista, if it is the business edition, you should be fine. Alternatively, you could buy an oem copy of xp and install it on the new laptop.

My understanding is that Vista goes on sale January 30, but I have not heard when computers will start coming with it pre-installed. I started a thread asking this exact question, but no one replied.

Prot said:
Look for open box models. There is bound to be some open box deals or clearance onces that have XP on it. If you do buy one with Vista, if it is the business edition, you should be fine. Alternatively, you could buy an oem copy of xp and install it on the new laptop.

My understanding is that Vista goes on sale January 30, but I have not heard when computers will start coming with it pre-installed. I started a thread asking this exact question, but no one replied.

Retailers here locally have no PC's in stock and they said that Tuesday January 30th they will start selling there New PC's. Dell is selling Vista Now cause ship date aint until like 2 weeks from now.

Well, if he wants xp that bad I think the best option would just be to buy it seperatly. Should be able to pick up an oem copy from newegg still.

I to was looking at Dell computers, and the models I was interested in only come with Vista now. But Gateway, as of yesterday, still had models I was looking at available with XP Pro.

Richie

IBM (Lenovo) are still shipping laptops with XP.

And buying XP and installing yourself is always an option (if you don't mind the extra cost). Drivers wouldn't be an issue as the number of XP users out there is still huge. In fact support will be better.

You can find places that sell XP still I know I ran across a few models recently that only had XP on them. I thought that was wierd they didn't have Vista on the list.

Back