• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6300 w/P5L-VM (what should I expect???)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

betterlife18

Hello. I am going to be building me a low-budget overclocking system here in the near future and I'd like to know if my motherboard is a good OC'er with the E6300 and so forth.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
MOBO: Asus P5L-VM 1394 (onboard everything, Intel GMA 950 graphics)
RAM: OCZ Platinum XTC DDR2-800 1GB kit
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Series 470w
CASE: Coolermaster RC-330-KKN1-GP Elite 330 Mid Tower

(Getting 7950GT later, going to use onboard for now, gotta save up money you know... also getting Zalman CNSP9500 later)

Ok so with the E6300, the P5L-VM, and the CNSP9500... what kind of clocks do you guys think I should expect?

i would not expect much at all from that mobo. general rule of thumb, mobo's with onboard video are no good for overclocking.

Awwwww... that's a major let down.

However, I have looked over some of the reviews on Newegg, and one user states that he's got his E6300 @ 2.4GHZ, 345FSB.

But, more than one user has also stated that the onboard NIC gets knocked out after about 320fsb :confused: ... which is a little screwed up.
But that's not going to matter for me though, I'll be using a PCI wireless G card.

320-345fsb is still decent, if you are just looking for something to tide you over. but eventually, once you get a new video card, you will want a new mobo as well, so that you can really push your cpu.

i would consider getting a board like the biostar tforce965 and a cheap pci-e card, like a x800pro (that's what i did, i think you can find them for like $70-80) to tide you over. you'll be buying 2 video cards this way, and your original plan has you buying 2 mobo's, so it would work out to cost about the same, but you'll have a functional gaming rig and much higher cpu clocks in the meantime.

2.4 isn't an outstanding overclock, and the 6300 will definitely run a lot farther. Spend the extra dough on a good motherboard or else you're not fully utilizing ur ram and therefore might as well sell them for some cheaper ram.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
320-345fsb is still decent, if you are just looking for something to tide you over. but eventually, once you get a new video card, you will want a new mobo as well, so that you can really push your cpu.

i would consider getting a board like the biostar tforce965 and a cheap pci-e card, like a x800pro (that's what i did, i think you can find them for like $70-80) to tide you over. you'll be buying 2 video cards this way, and your original plan has you buying 2 mobo's, so it would work out to cost about the same, but you'll have a functional gaming rig and much higher cpu clocks in the meantime.

Actually, I was originally going to buy one motherboard (the P5L-VM with the onboard video) and then buy a 7950GT down the road....
What I'll probably end up doing I guess is just getting a better overclocker like the P5B (keeping the same ram, cpu, etc)... and just slapping in a piece of crap like a GeForce 6200.... eat Ramen noodles for a while.... then buy the 7950GT (or maybe by then the 8800GTS prices will have dropped).

Yup, found a cheap 6200 at ZipZoomFly (where I will be buying all my parts) for $43.99

Asus EN6200LE TC256/TD/64M GeForce 6200 PCI Express 64MB Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI Retail ***Free Shipping***

Btw, I'm doing all of this when my tax refund comes back. Once I do that, I'm going to try and sell my laptop as soon as possible, make about $500-600 on it, then buy the 7950GT, extra gig of ram, Audigy X-Fi, and the Zalman heatsink.

Back