• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking Advice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rorktor1

Hey, guys. I'm looking for a bit of direction with how I should build my next system based on some parts that I have on hand.

About a year and a half ago a friend of mine dumped a couple video cards and memory on me (all brand new) and I'm at the point where I want to upgrade with these components. I have two Asus Extreme 7800GTX 256MB PCI-x video cards and two gigs of Corsair memory (CMX1024-3500LLPRO). I believe the memory is DDR, not DDR2.

I'm sure this stuff is out-dated by a year or so, but I'd like to know the best route I can take using these video cards in SLI format. I'm even willing to invest in new memory if I have to, but whats the best platform currently for building a nice gaming rig. I'm pretty sure the two 7800GTX video cards in SLI format will be good on the video end. I just need an idea of which motherboard/cpu/memory combo I should get to along with them.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the advice in advance! :)

If you want to use your DDR you'll have to go Socket 939 with AMD. 939 still has good cpus, but is being phased out for AM2 with DDR2.

The best build path right now IMHO is Core2, which requires DDR2. I would sell the DDR for a set of DDR2. The prices are pretty similiar, so you shouldn't lose much money on the swap. The gain with Core2 is worth the price IMHO.

Those video cards in SLI should be good for most games. Just make sure and build a rig with a good enough power supply to run them. What monitor will you be running at what resolution?

Thanks for the quick reply man! I'm actually using a large LCD HDTV thats in my living room (I sit on my couch to play games, lol). It's 720p though, so the resolution is relatively low. At some point I'll make the switch to a smaller and higher resolution widescreen LCD, but for now its really great for me.

I had a feeling that you were going to mention Core2 Duo as the way to go and thats fine with me. As far as memory goes, should I stick with the Corsair memory but DDR2 or is there a better brand out there currently? Also, what brand of motherboard is the most stable right now that has SLI and DDR2 support for LGA775 (think that is right, lol)?

Well you got some good stuff there. I would honestly find a relatively inexpensive S939 SLI board (you can find em used now for 50-75 bucks) and then a opto 175/80/85 or X2 4400/4600/4800 CPU for 200-300 bucks. Although C2D is a better performer when OC'ed, DDR2 is kinda pricey and you'll take a big hit selling that PC3500. I'd stick with AMD honestly...if you were building from scratch I'd say 100% for sure go with C2D, but not in your situation....oh you might want to consider selling those 2 7800GTX's (you could probably get 350-400 for em and then buy a single 8800GTS

There are DDR1 C2D boards out there, but... their not great OCers... but their good for the budget and still rape a OCed AMD CPU even if it is running stock.

You sure there C2D Seasonal and not just LG775 boards (most LG775 boards don't support C2D, just P4's and cele's)

Great set of free stuff. I would go with an S939 board and the best S939 CPU that you can afford. I will defer to others for the choice of PSU. Screw, looking both ways, the Intel OC (AMD too for that matter).

Wow, thanks for all the replies! Great community here! :)

I think I may go the cheaper route and stick with the memory I have and go with an X2. My main question is the SLI situation. How do I know if my video cards will run in a x16 slot?

This board - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131568 - apparently is the best for the memory I have, but it says it supports two identical SLI-ready graphics cards that are both x16 mode. Not sure what that means really or how to check for that.

Is there a different S939 SLI mobo that is better than the one above? Also, what is the best x2 chip that is worth the money?

As long as a board is rated for SLI you shouldn't have a problem, just be sure to get an SLI power supply to power everything.

Best socket 939 cpu for overclocking the the Opteron 165/170. Most reports are putting it a 2.5-2.6ghz on stock volts. Many are near 3.0ghz. If you aren't going to overclock just get an X2 chip in your budget.

Back