• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

98SE+XP= :( ??? Can't see other comp..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speed_Freak

Okay, i've had my home network up for about 2 months now. We have DSL through Verizon. My computer is running Win XP, my parents' 98SE. The internet works fine for both computers as do network games (RA2, BroodWar, Mechwarrior4, whatever). However, it's the first time i've tried sharing files (i was trying to move some MP3s my bro had on the other computer) and it just gave me crap. I can use network places and i can see their computer, i can even browse through the drive. However, the moment i try to move anything or alter a file in anyway it locks up and i have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut down whatever im doing. ALso, whenever i use the network neighborhood on my parents comp. I can't even see my (the one with XP) computer? Whats up??? Thanks guys and gals.

Don't know what's causing the freeze ups but do you have any drives shared on the XP box? If not then the 98 PC won't be able to see anything. You'll need to share out what you want access to on the XP box and make sure that permissions are set so that Everyone has access, otherwise, it will prompt you for login credentials more than likely.

Might want to check MS updates for the freezing issue. May have something to do with XP and 98 on a network...

hmm.. u sure its locking up and not just lagging? Since the network may not be setup properly windows maybe trying to establish a connection so seems like it freezes up. Just wait awhile and it should come back and give u some kinda a pop up. :D

Back