• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who can answer this one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kj4ta

Ok, boys and girls I was told to ask my question here since ya'll know AMD. I want to start building a system (A VERY BASIC-BARE BONES SYSTEM) I would like to know what MoBo I should purchase to accommadate an Anthlon 1800 w/what or who's ram ( I'm hoping to get away with 128, but 256 seems to be the word) and who's hard-drive (small now...like maybe 15 gigs @7200) I have some components from another system I will use to fill in the blanks...I hope. Money IS a big issue now, I would like to add and upgrade as more monies become available.
Thanks for your input and time.

Since money is a issue then a Shuttle ak31 266a chipset motherboard.
Crucial 2100 or Corsair 2400 memory crucial is probably the better buy.
Hard drives are not really that different, a ata 100,7200rpm
Ibm 60gxp or maxtor diamondmax are both good.

Yobbzz said:
Make sure you get at least a 300 watt power supply.

I would make that at least 350 watts and a good brand name like enermax, sparkel, or antec. Make sure you get a good HSF for it also so you won't have heat problems. The swiftech mc?462 and the big alpha are the best but aren't cheap. The SK6 with a delta is highly recommended for the performance/price.

I like placids response and the recomedation to get 350 ps is a good one however for the money and if you plan to play with it I would look for a 400watt. I have one and they seem to perform as well as any of the higher rated ones, I can adjust the 5v line and my vcore can be were ever I set it. Price on a cheaper or newer name is comparable. Stay away from the enermax as they can not be adjusted (without MODS) and typically cost more.

People will hate me for this but the Kyro 2 w/64 meg ram at $64 dollars on price watch offers an excellent cost to performance ratio.

Back