• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hunter1895

Registered
i just got a lap top given to me that doesnt work . you power it up and the hard drive starts but screen stays black no beeps nothin. anyway i cracked it open to see what it had for a cpu and got these codes off the core fv80503166 and next it had sl27a/2.45v and c7290292-0129 then at the bottom 92.95 any one got a clue as to what type and how much megahertz it has . it says pentium w/ mmx also my guess is its a 166mhz? but im new to this pentuim biz . amd all the way any info would be great thanks in advance.

Black Screen ?

Seems like a bios corruption maybe.

Reset the bios wait 15-30 mins and see what you can do.

That is what happens to me I had the FSB too high it would only show my video card stuff and then stay there.

its a sharp pc 9340t. how do i reset the bios in a lap top it doesnt come apart easy wow what a job i wanted to smash it. by the way you talkin to a newbee :D so be tolerant please.

I think the first mmx cpu from intel was the 233, and from what you posted I would asume that the "s-spec" is an SL27a...and if you look on intel's w.s. you should find out what that chip is.
I would think it is a 233 or 266
And if all you get is the hdd spinning up and you do not hear the actuators (heads) making noise, then it is most likely the cpu.
Somebody could have tried clocking it, and fried it.
I did it with a AMD K6-2 333 by flipping the wrong switch on my CTX EZBOOK 700E....I overvolted it, and when I tried to bootup, all I heard was the hdd spinning but the heads weren't making any noise, and put the old K6 233 back, and it ran fine. It now has another 333, but it is underclocked to 300.
You could look at the manufacturer's w.s. under support, and lookup that model and see what the options were/are and that will also help you decide if it is worth fixing or upgrading.

from zdnet

"The PC-9340T offers a 166MHz MMX Pentium and a 2.1GB hard drive.

Both units will ship with a 12.1-inch active matrix display, 32MB of RAM, a 20-speed CD-ROM drive and an integrated 33.6K-bps modem.
"

nihili

thanks for the info . i still dont know what the problem is the hard drive does sound like its trying to read then stops and still no screen ????? if the screen came up i might be able to make a guess, but im stumped. i feel like im blind with this laptop.

I second the BIOS bit. I don't know if laptops have the BIOS battery in them (they should!), but I'd unplug that and take out your big battery and AC power, let it sit for a few minutes. If it has no battery and no jumper/solder points to short out, then I would say you're probably out of luck. Remember, all the laptop systems have integrated graphics, and I think many of those use the system BIOS itself to store all of it's data on. So burnt CPU or BIOS, it would be very difficult to tell the difference. It's been my experience that very few people try to OC notebooks because everything's so darn hard to get to; you have to tear out everything and everything else to get to the mobo... and not many laptop notebooks offer OCing options. Then again, it's certainly possible, so don't discount the CPU.

Also, nihili is right, the 166Mhz Pentium was, I believe, the first to offer MMX, not the 233. I just came across one of them the other day. I also own a P200 MMX system.

i tried the battery that didnt work . the other day when i took it apart there was only one bank of swiches under the cpu and they seamed to be sealed with a plastic cover . im sure i could get it off no problem but im not interested in o/c just yet . id like to get it working first. maybe ill take it to somone that knows more . anyway thanks for the info.

Back