• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help on my pc problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s[H]sIkuA

Memory Leak or Power problem?

Ok here is the problem, this is a new pc and the problem happened exactly same to my last pc

When I turn on my pc for a long time (3-4 days) without any reboot, it will either
1) screen mess up, something like the display corrupt
2) BSOD,showing nv4_disp.dll error
The weird thing is, the problem will be fix after I reboot the system , but it will happen all over again :mad:

My pc component is all new except the
1)PSU
2)LCD + cable
3)Hard disk

I suspect the psu to be the culprit but I also want to know if any software can mess up my system like that? the problem is random , sometimes happen after about 1 day while sometime around 3-4 days

Here's my system spec
C2D E6600 @ stock
1GB XMS2 DDR667
370W Enermax Noisetaker (I am still waiting for my Corsair Hx520, might be not enough power?)
7600GS
others are not so important :)

Last edited:
the PSU should give enough power, but I would try something else.. maybe a friends PSU or something.. Or at least try to boot up with minimum things.. just 1 hard drive.. no disk drives.. a lesser video card if you have it.. take out anything you dont need to boot up that takes up power.. if it boots up correctly then try to see which compenate it is.. if you cant find out by that, then it could be the PSU.

jack222 said:
Hmm, have you reformatted your hard drive when you switched it in computers?

yea I formatted the hard drive ofcourse :) So hardware aside, does any software that can create this kind of problem? I read somewhere in the forum theres some s/w that have memory leak and overtime, if leave open, it will used up all the system memory, not sure though , this problem is very hard for me to fix cause it is not instant and have to wait 3-4 days :(

Hope my new PSU fix this , if it is still the same , I really dont know what to do :bang head

More Info: this happened with my previous rig which is a amd althon xp + 6600gt , the window xp setup is identical for both rig ,last time I thought it was the ram or graphic card but the problem still exist in my new rig

Which driver are you using for the 7600GS?

Might also want to relax your memory timings and see if it helps any.

93.71 , memory timing is 667 @ 5-5-5-15 (stock/auto) , i didnt overclock anything yet as the memory is not mine, my 2gb kits still haven't arrive yet :)

Are you using the same hard drive in this rig as the old XP rig? Might want to run a diagnosis on your hard drive. It might be about to fail.

Sorry, I see now where you ARE using the same HDD. Run the manufacturer's diagnostic program on the HDD to make sure it is functioning properly.

Any other possible culprit besides the hard disk and PSU ?

I am going to change hard disk soon

You are using a surge protector right? Just saying that because you should be if you run your computer 3-4 days non stop.

If it is coming up with "nv4_disp.dll" then it is something to do with your graphics card.

you arent using nvidia firewall are you? may be way off of base but similar experience on my pc until I uninstalled it.

grayg said:
You are using a surge protector right? Just saying that because you should be if you run your computer 3-4 days non stop.

If it is coming up with "nv4_disp.dll" then it is something to do with your graphics card.
No , not using any surge protector, I thought it is optional as it protect the pc from lightning? It hardly rains this few weeks at my place ;)

Yea me too, I thought my previous 6600GT was mess up but it still happen with my current graphic card , hmmp... weird

Maybe my place current is not 'clean'? Duh just a guess as I am pretty much clueless about what going wrong, btw my system still haven't hang for 4 days now, I think something to do with RKLauncher (a prog dock to display icon shortcut, similar to objectdock) The previous hang is when I playing warcraft 3, and I just run RK not long before I started wc3

And also, i try to delete alot of font+icon in my pc (those downloadable from net , not default) as last time i keep alot of them

oh and imnotplutonium , i am not using any nvidia firewall :)

You don't need a surge protector because of lightning. You should have one because it protects your computer from dodgey electrical currents coming from the socket on the wall. The electric isn't always perfect and can have a sudden spike which can damage your computer. It is unlikely to happen but the general saying is something like "$20 for $1000" if you get me. Aslong as you get a decent one it will come with a warranty to insure any electricals you have attached to it for damage. Something I would highly consider if you are running your computer for days without turning it off.

grayg said:
You don't need a surge protector because of lightning. You should have one because it protects your computer from dodgey electrical currents coming from the socket on the wall. The electric isn't always perfect and can have a sudden spike which can damage your computer. It is unlikely to happen but the general saying is something like "$20 for $1000" if you get me. Aslong as you get a decent one it will come with a warranty to insure any electricals you have attached to it for damage. Something I would highly consider if you are running your computer for days without turning it off.

Well i plan to get one but after hearing that from you , I really want one now :) BTW it is better to get a UPS instead of surge protector? although it cost more :-/

s[H]sIkuA said:
Well i plan to get one but after hearing that from you , I really want one now :) BTW it is better to get a UPS instead of surge protector? although it cost more :-/

Yes, get a UPS that has Active Voltage Regulation (AVR). Basically the UPS will "condition" the power that your computer sees and will keep it within an acceptable range. Office Depot has the APC 1500 on sale for $99 this week I think. Check Cyber Deals........

Okay ,today I found something under Event Viewer in XP
Event ID 2020
"The server was unable to allocate from the system paged pool because the pool was empty."

and in Azurues , some torrent show , "Disk Error, not enough space to continue bla bla..." But theres still like 80gb left in my hdd

Does this mean my hard disk is at fault here? :(

that nv4_disp.dll error is a display driver error. try a newer driver. if it still persist its prolly a power related issue, not enough juice.

Back