• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATITool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jetster220

How seriously should I take ATItool's artifact detection. When I run it, it gives me artifacts, yet, when Im playing FEAR maxed out, which actually gets my card hotter I dont get any artifacts. So how seriously should I take the artifacting in ATItool?

Jetster220 said:
How seriously should I take ATItool's artifact detection. When I run it, it gives me artifacts, yet, when Im playing FEAR maxed out, which actually gets my card hotter I dont get any artifacts. So how seriously should I take the artifacting in ATItool?
Is that overclocked?

I usually pay attention to ATITool. Quite often if your card is artifacting, you could actually be running slower 3D than if you lowered the clocks. This is because the errors slow things down. I've experienced this before when benching/overclocking. IMO, you should make your vid card OC ATITool stable.

You wouldn't want it to detect artifacts later than you're seeing them in 3D applications. It works great for people who want to get an idea about their card overclocks, with some room to spare. There is no one set of card overclocks that's perfect for every game either if your pushing the limits, they all stress the card a little differently.

So, itd be fine to actually run the card at the higher OC that does show some artifacting in ATI but runs FEAR fine. As when I dropped it down to ATI stable my 3dmark05 score went down 200 points. And at the higher OC setting the card isnt getting to hot, doesnt go above 57C.

Thats another question I have, since it doesnt appear its getting to hot, why would it be artifacting in the first place?

Yes of course, any 3D application is a "Test" of graphics stability. Artifacts can come from more than heat, too high memory clocks can cause them as well.

Jetster220 said:
So, itd be fine to actually run the card at the higher OC that does show some artifacting in ATI but runs FEAR fine. As when I dropped it down to ATI stable my 3dmark05 score went down 200 points. And at the higher OC setting the card isnt getting to hot, doesnt go above 57C.

Thats another question I have, since it doesnt appear its getting to hot, why would it be artifacting in the first place?

The ATItool is probably just detecting artifacts that you can't see, that's why usually one or two detected with ATItool is ok in my book.

99% of the time it is not heat but too high of clocks that makes a card artifact. To remedy the clocks being too high you can solder v-mod or sometimes bios v-mod the card and give it more volts, just like OCing your PC. But when you give more volts then you start to have to watch the heat at that point.

Cool, well I think it could stand more heat, so anybody know where to point on how to V-mod my 7950GT or maybe a bios flash to get a bit more volts out of it.

Back