• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are cpu's plug and play?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imnotplutonium

Can I upgrade a cpu of the same socket type without having problems with bsod or windows?

My roommate has an old 939 socket and is wanting to upgrade to the newer and now decent priced x2. i think he has a regular atholon 64 2.4ghz. He has an asus board but it is in a dell or compaq cant remember right now.

It depends on the motherboard.

You may need a BIOS flash to upgrade to X2 check dells website for BIOSs that state x2 compatability.

(If the system came out after x2 it may support it natively)

EDIT: You can always try popping yours in and see if it works :

yea but then my rig isn't running! lol, yea good idea i'll try it out. No harm can come from this right?

I always suggest reinstalling OS with a new CPU or MB. Generally faster than troubleshooting the inevitable issues.

A lot "can" go wrong no matter what you are doing.

Generally if the CPU is compatible you will have no issues what so ever. Like someone mentioned the motherboard may not support the CPU you desire to install or it may require the BIOS to be flashed. Check the manufactures website for the information once you figure out the make of the motherboard.

mortimer said:
I always suggest reinstalling OS with a new CPU or MB. Generally faster than troubleshooting the inevitable issues.

A lot "can" go wrong no matter what you are doing.
The operating system does not use a specific driver for the processor itself, only motherboard resources and devices. I have NEVER had to reinstall windows because I swapped out a processor.

Captain Slug said:
The operating system does not use a specific driver for the processor itself, only motherboard resources and devices. I have NEVER had to reinstall windows because I swapped out a processor.

Agree, at least on this Asrock/Asus board. Upgraded the BIOS, removed an A64 3500, dropped in Opteron, off and running. No sweat, no problems, nothing!

Its a bit of a lottery, i went from a 64 bit single 3000+ to a 4400 x2 dual no probs, the only funny was the bios called it an amd clawhammer rather than 4400 x2 64 , flashed the bios and reports everything correct now.
thats on a dfi ultra-d board and toledo chip.

brendy said:
Its a bit of a lottery, i went from a 64 bit single 3000+ to a 4400 x2 dual no probs, the only funny was the bios called it an amd clawhammer rather than 4400 x2 64 , flashed the bios and reports everything correct now.
thats on a dfi ultra-d board and toledo chip.

Brendy,

My BIOS doesn't call it anything but "Dual Core Enabled" and every software program calls it a "Toledo" when AMD says it's a "Denmark." I don't care what they call it as long as it works! :D

RollingThunder said:
Brendy,

My BIOS doesn't call it anything but "Dual Core Enabled" and every software program calls it a "Toledo" when AMD says it's a "Denmark." I don't care what they call it as long as it works! :D
Bingo, I was just a little anal, Id upgraded from a low overclocking 3000 64 to this so wanted all the bells and whistles! haha.

Its going to boil down to what the manufacturer has built into the board for compatibility. A good way to find out if a CPU is compatible with your setup... is cruise over the the board manufacturers website, and check the latest listing of CPU compatibility. More often than not, the list will either say its completely compatible or refer to a BIOS update thats needed to support the CPU. If the chip isnt listed... well, i'd assume it wasn't compatible.

~ Gos

Back