• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What RAM would go best with these parts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woca

EDIT
anyone know of RAM that is as good as the crucials's i have listed but runs on lower voltage csaue i have heard people saying they need cheap sticks of ram to load up comp and then get into BIOS to change default voltage

will I need to do this with these and is it better if i get lower voltage RAM?

I plan on overclocking my cpu a little and maybe ram so i defintely want RAM to be able to be OC'ed
the comp is for games mostly
also, I want ram to be ddr2 800

im planning on getting these parts listed(may change tower, but most likely not the main parts)

bolded memory so you'd notice and I believe it is d9 so I think that can be OC'ed well, right?

Do you guys think those are best for my needs or some others

Motherboard
Intel Bad Axe 2

Memory

Crucial Technology Ballistix 2GB kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400

Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz 4MB Cache 1066MHZ FSB

Chassis
APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

System Drive
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

may get two

CD ROM / DVD ROM
Primary:
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology - OEM

may get two as well

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
EVGA or BFG – BFG has better refund stuff at newegg

Power Supply

dont know too much but i know i cant skimp out on it, any help here would be great

Sound Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Last edited:
Wish I had an answer for you, but I'm new here myself. Ironically I just posted a message almost identical to yours, so let's hope some people can help us out.

I already decided on the RAM after reading a bit, but I'm still confused by how to OC it and what all the numbers mean. Anyway, good luck with the new system.

Cheers,

Tata

The Crucial Ballistix you have listed are great overclockers from what i've heard. Basically you want RAM that has D9 chips. Here's a list of what RAM has what chips: Ram list

As for the power supply, the PCP&C units are nice, Silverstone Zeus series (the ST75ZF is built by Estasis), Zippy, Seasonic are all excellent. For a list of PSU's that nVidia has certified for SLI use (always a good list to see) check here: SLI Zone. Even if you don't plan on going SLI, it will give you an idea of what PSU's have been certified by nVidia.

I'm building an almost identical system to yours and I chose the Silverstone ST75ZF for my system. But that list should help you out, maybe a mor esenior member will post as well.

Last edited:
phantasm said:
The Crucial Ballistix you have listed are great overclockers from what i've heard. Basically you want RAM that has D9 chips. Here's a list of what RAM has what chips: Ram list

According to that link the Ballistix PC-6400 chips come in two varieties (both D9): Micron D9GMH (B6-3) / Micron D9DQW (BT-37E) How would I figure out which one I have?

Thanks,

Tata

I'd imagine the only to be sure is by removing the heatspreader. Now i"m NOT telling you to do so, there may be another way. Also, i'm not sure if it matters which D9 you have. Lets see if someone else comes along and provides some more answers.

anyone know of RAM that is as good as the crucials's i have listed but runs on lower voltage csaue i have heard people saying they need cheap sticks of ram to load up comp and then get into BIOS to change default voltage

will I need to do this with these and is it better if i get lower voltage RAM?

I'm not sure how the Bad Axe is with memory voltage, but I just put a system together with a P5B Deluxe and G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

The specs say 2.0V - 2.1V and it should have similar performance as the Crucial for roughly the same price ($279.99 at NewEgg). My P5B build posted and booted on the very first power-up.

Now I'm far from an expert at this so maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks might provide some additional insight.

Back