Forum Jump

Firewall

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-04-01, 12:48 PM Thread Starter   #1
Smizack
Dead Boomslang collector

Firewall

What's a good firewall to use under Xp?
I had BlackIce under 98se and found it to be mostly useless anyway. I've heard Zone Alarm is good. Just getting some suggestions.
Smizack is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-04-01, 12:55 PM   #2
David
Forums Super Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

If you have an old 486/P5 then you can use freesco ( www.freesco.org ) to turn it into a gateway/firewall

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
David is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-04-01, 04:28 PM   #3
Yodums

ZoneAlarm and Tiny Personal Firewall is what you should have ..

ZoneAlarm is the primary and then you have Tiny to back it up.

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
Yodums is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-04-01, 08:54 PM   #4
Bull

I agree with tsunami. ZoneAlarm is free and is probably alot better than the ones you can buy.
Bull is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-05-01, 12:07 AM   #5
lonewolf1983

zonealarm as my primary
blackice as my backup

also remember that winxp has a builtin firewall
u just have to turn it on
lonewolf1983 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-05-01, 12:25 AM   #6
minoukat

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by lonewolf1983
also remember that winxp has a builtin firewall
u just have to turn it on
But how efficient is it compared to ZoneAlarm and the likes ?

Old 12-05-01, 04:50 AM   #7
RedDeathDrinker
Senior Aircraftsman IRL

ZoneAlarm is one of the more efficent firewalls around. The free version is updated regularly by ZoneLabs, and the pro version is even better........

RedDeathDrinker is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-05-01, 07:06 AM   #8
Yodums

I don't really like Microsoft's firewall it was bad for me I mean when it tried to load mirc it took forever since it probably had to go through all these things in the firewall it doesn't give you a change how to config the firewal etc.

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
Old 12-05-01, 09:10 AM Thread Starter   #9
Smizack
Dead Boomslang collector

Quote:
Originally posted by tsunami
I don't really like Microsoft's firewall it was bad for me I mean when it tried to load mirc it took forever since it probably had to go through all these things in the firewall it doesn't give you a change how to config the firewal etc.
I'm not using Microsoft's firewall then, I need to have controll over it.
Smizack is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-05-01, 05:10 PM   #10
Tabasco
Registered

Norton 2002

working fine say no more..........ok.... I wont......fine.........bye
Tabasco is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-05-01, 08:34 PM   #11
Yodums

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabasco
Norton 2002

working fine say no more..........ok.... I wont......fine.........bye
I wouldn't go with Norton its not any good and they aren't notorious for making good quality firewalls as ZoneAlarm, Tiny, BlackIce etc.

Old 12-05-01, 09:05 PM   #12
William
Prodigal Son Moderator

10 Year Badge

Zone Alarm assigns a digital ID to an exe you allow through, therefor a trojan or whatnot cannot rename itself iexplore.exe and get through your firewall. Tiny Personal Firewall does the same thing as well. To test your firewall, you should go here

http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

and download leaktest and try it. If it gets through, a trojan can.

His scoreboard of various firewalls

http://grc.com/lt/scoreboard.htm

And an excerpt for all the people relying solely on their hardware router

Quote:
The HOT setup . . .
My specific recommendations are, of course, subject to moment-to-moment change and reconsideration in this highly dynamic Internet security market. However, today as for the past six months there is no better and more secure solution than running a single, external, Linksys NAT router providing redundant external intrusion protection coupled with copies of the FREE ZoneAlarm firewall providing the PC industry's most comprehensive internal extrusion management.

(Note: The money you save by running the free ZoneAlarm firewall
on multiple computers more than pays for a Linksys router!)

We note that this solution does not offer the additional features of parental control, advertising, and cookie blocking offered by, for example, Symantec's NIS product line, but Symantec's solutions are not free, and they all currently fail to provide comprehensive internal extrusion protection.

You can check out Steve's Site at http://www.grc.com He is one of the leading internet security professionals.

House: This is the only way! Sometimes solutions are NP complete and there's nothing anyone can do about it! Foreman, sneak into the physics department and reroute their servers to ours, we need the extra processors if we don't want this equation to go quadratic on us. Chase, patch the memory leak and install Matlab 9.3.
Chase: Shouldn't we be using Mathematica for potentially asymptotic functions?
House: When I want your opinion, I'll do an affine transformation to get it. I'm off to see Cuddy. Those parabolic eigenvalues of hers must be good for something.
William is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications