• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 165 high temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kbtat2

Hello everyone,

I'm curious about the temps I'm getting on my Opty 165 compared to my previous Opty 144.

The 144 I had previously used to idle at @ 30-32c and load at @ 40-42c with 1.55 vcore. I installed this 165 and it has been idling at @ 41c and 50 load with 1.475 vcore.
I have reseated the waterblock several times thinking I may have not mounted it correctly but the temps have remained the same.

Is it normal for the temps on a dual core to be higher than a single core?

My x2 is way hoter than my 3200+ , 3200+ @ 2.7ghz 1.55v load = 30 deg
x2 @ 2.75 ghz 1.55v load = 41

Speedfan and Core Temp. They give me different readings though and I've been assuming that Core temp is the more accurate of the two.

im getting like 45C max @ 1.55v on air with a xp-120 and a 105cfm fan so yea ide say your alittle high

kbtat2 said:
I installed this 165 and it has been idling at @ 41c and 50 load with 1.475 vcore.
Why so much vCore? I had that chip running @ 300x9 on 1.4 volts. Heck it was only hitting like 52°c (Core Temp) under my Ultra 120 with Orthos Small FTTs.

Edit: Just so people don't get confused I sold him this chip.

Well for some reason when I have the vcore lower it doesn't want to reboot everytime. I had it down to 1.425 but it was a 50/50 chance that it wouldn't boot up and I would have to turn it off and then on again. Once I got into windows it seemed stable though.
I'm also using the vcore boost feature thats in the Asus A8N32 sli Deluxe that adds .2 volts when activated, it is set at 1.275.

How are you checking your temps Gods o Mekone?

usein MBM5 with the lanparty patch thing. ive also used the nforce thing, systemguardian, sandira but mbm5 seems to resemble the bois best.

IHS is off. Try it w/o the overvolt on the vCore. Mine gets really flakey when I enable that. It will allow 1.5 or 1.55 w/o overvolt. Are you running the 1303 BIOS?

I turned off the overvolt function and have it at 1.375 but it is still idling at @ 41-44 but the load only gets to 48? I really don't understand why it is so high.
I still have the bios it came with 1103, since it seemed to recognize everything I put into it I didn't see the need to change the bios. Do you think a newer bios would do anything?

The newer BIOS will help a little - 1205 seemed to straighten some things out and 1303 has all the 1205 does and then some.

ASUS ProbeII is a good program to use for watching temps - along w/CoreTemp you'll have a good idea of what's going on in there. The internal sensors (from CoreTemp) can be off quite a bit but are very good for relative temps.

The warm boot issue is something several people have tried working around but just seems to be an issue on some systems (including mine) over a certain OC.

For your immediate heat problem, if ProbeII reports a temp over 35°C I'd say you've got a seating problem w/the Apogee. Was your previous CPU also lidless? If not, did you cut down the socket frame to account for the missing IHS? With the Apogee and Storm you really don't need the socket frame at all as long as you're careful about how much torque you put to the screws ...

Probe II is reporting 36c while CoreTemp is reporting @ 41c. My 144 was also lidless. I am using the small rods that come with the apogee, they are in between the springs and the screws. Is it possible that the 165 might have a slightly lower profile which is causing the block to not make a good contact?
Maybe I'll try to reaseat it again without the safety rods?

If you've got 36°C idle(?) and presumably 42-43°C load from Probe II then I wouldn't worry too much. My DC (2.8GHz @ 1.53v) will run ~40°C under load w/a Storm and IHS.

My guess is the single rad is keeping your temps up a little more than before. The DCs do produce more heat - especially when you start pumping extra volts into 'em. It's probably why you need a little more voltage to get the same OC as I_H, too - slightly higher temps, slightly worse OC.
Hipcrostino said:
trust coretemp
I find it difficult to trust CoreTemp as the end all for accurate temps. I've got an ambient of ~21°C and idle temps from CoreTemp are 18/26°C. The second number agrees w/Probe II - I don't even want to talk about the first one. Your results (and everyone else's compared to yours and mine) will vary. :-/ BUT, it's a great program for comparing temp differences for your particular chip. There's a reason AMD doesn't officially support the internal sensors ...

Last edited:
Well, after all the reseating of the waterblock I managed to chip the core very, very slightly on the top left corner. I was terrified, thinking it wouldn't boot but it did.
I'm just going to have to accept those temps because the next time I take that waterblock off will be when I get a new system. 8^)

Thanks for all the help guys, KBTat2

I'm just at a little bit higher OC with a little bit hotter temps, but on air cooling. Those temps look a little high for water.

Frozenwings said:
I'm just at a little bit higher OC with a little bit hotter temps, but on air cooling. Those temps look a little high for water.

Dang it, I swear I'm not mounting this XP90 right or something. My load temps are up on yours by a good 7 degrees across the board at 310x9 1.375v in CoreTemp.

You do anything special with the heatsink or mounting?

Back