• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Look this over please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantasm

Yesterday i posted this thread: Troubleshooting older AGP system. Well the system is my sister's and she wants me to upgrade it for <= $600. Here's what i've come up with. Could someone look it over and tell me what they think.

Basically it will be used for college, her boyfriend likes to play racing games though. Thanks.

Mobo: Abit IL9 Pro
CPU: Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 2.66GHZ
RAM: G.Skill 2x 512MB DDR2 667
GPU: BFG 7600GT
PSU: Seasonic S12-430 ATX12V 430W
HD: Seasonic7200.10 200GB

Can i go with a smaller PSU? Thanks.

if you plan on overclocking, I would pass on the abit il9 and get a 965p board like the gigabyte s3 or biostar tforce. My gigabyte board required that I had ddr2-533 ram with my pentium d 805, i didn't test the 805 on my biostar board so I can't comment on if it has the same requirement.

if you aren't overclocking, then that stuff should be fine...but you might want to consider buying ddr2-533 also if it might save a few bucks because an unoverclocked d805 will run memory at ddr2-533 speed. ddr2-667 does allow for future upgrades, tho, so if its about the same price, stick with the 667.

Back