• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATTENTION: BSODs with the 8800 GTS/GTX/OTHER? Look here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Excelsior

KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!!
So.

This seems to be quite a widespread problem with Nvidia 8800 GTX/GTS es. I have emailed nVidia customer care and from the response it looks like the gentleman who answered my claim was from another country and wouldn't be of much help.

Here's a large thread on those with the same issue:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=21758&st=0

PLEASE post in that thread, or here, and email nVidia.

After using driverCleaner and other programs, reinstalling drivers, even reformatting windows itself people are still getting this issue. They load up a 3d application and get a STOP BSOD like this:

STOP 0X0000007E (OXC0000005, 0XBFB4E28E, 0XAD6258CC, 0XAD6255C8)

nv4_disp.dll - Address BFBE28E base at BF9D40000, DateStamp 458ae707

(just my random example)

Many people have gone to extreme lengths to try to isolate the problem: different hard drives, beefier PSUs, different mobos, etc. The problem seems to lie with the 8800 Drivers from nVidia. Googling I can see threads from back in DECEMBER about errors with rendering and the driver.

So if you're having any issues at all please post up. Anything helped? Any fixes/etc? We need to try to pressure nVidia to actually recognize the problem (fat chance, but we can at least try.)

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to purchase a "top of the line" card and have it crap out on you several times a day in the middle of games.

Hopefully something will get done.

-Excelsior

I have been having issues and tried all what you have said except the beefier psu, but I have been asking about that the last 2 days. My problems show up as either locked blank screens (blue and black), or BSOD referencing the nVidia driver. I have never used any other driver so far but 97.92 WHQL. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled it twice, with DriverCleaner in Safe-Mode in between. Only difference is my problems materialize unless I try to push the card past stock speeds. I have also wondered if the problem is related to having to use nTune to tweak the driver. I am not real impressed with nTune at the moment. I was thinking of upgrading my psu but I think I will just see where this goes and at least wait on another driver release to see what happens.

Pntgrd said:
I have been having issues and tried all what you have said except the beefier psu, but I have been asking about that the last 2 days. My problems show up as either locked blank screens (blue and black), or BSOD referencing the nVidia driver. I have never used any other driver so far but 97.92 WHQL. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled it twice, with DriverCleaner in Safe-Mode in between. Only difference is my problems materialize unless I try to push the card past stock speeds. I have also wondered if the problem is related to having to use nTune to tweak the driver. I am not real impressed with nTune at the moment. I was thinking of upgrading my psu but I think I will just see where this goes and at least wait on another driver release to see what happens.

Hold off on the PSU. Read the thread I posted, one of the guys is using one of those gimmicky 1000W PSUs and is still running into the issue.

Also if you read further on someone suggested uninstalling ntune solved his problems. I'm going to consider trying it. You might want to try it as well and post up your results. It's stupid, though. People have been having the issue since lat enovember and it hasn't been fixed. More people witht he same issue:

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t25758.html

Honestly, this is just **** poor.

A question though. With the new structure of the 8800 drivers how do you get to the advanced option, like fan control and o/c settings, without using nTune. I followed the way posted here to get back to the old control panel which would allow Coolbits to work again, but you lose that ability to set AA any higher than 4x. That just defeats having the 8800.

Pntgrd said:
A question though. With the new structure of the 8800 drivers how do you get to the advanced option, like fan control and o/c settings, without using nTune. I followed the way posted here to get back to the old control panel which would allow Coolbits to work again, but you lose that ability to set AA any higher than 4x. That just defeats having the 8800.

No clue.

I removed nTune and it did NOT help with stability. I am still artifacting randomly (the kind of artifacting I'd get right before the BSOD).

So I exit out quickly to avoid that bsod >_>

Anyway, this is stupid.

I'm going to start a new thread and try to gauge the extent of the problem (on the nvidia forums maybe). I just can't stand this :/

Edit:

Oh, as for AA... I just set that application side, usually.

Removing nTune may have done the trick on mine. I removed it, did a reg sweep just to make sure, then installed ATITool to o/c and test with. I haven't done much testing but I did not get all the lockups I did with nTune. My core didn't crap out until after 640 and memory was fine a 1900. I ran a test demo in FEAR at 575 core and 1850 memory with no locks or artifacts at all. A great improvement over an instant crash at any speed over stock before. In fact if I even clicked one of the optimization buttons in nTune it was instant crash of some kind. I know I need to test more but I am encouraged so far. Nice to know my psu may be cutting it after all.

Pntgrd said:
Removing nTune may have done the trick on mine. I removed it, did a reg sweep just to make sure, then installed ATITool to o/c and test with. I haven't done much testing but I did not get all the lockups I did with nTune. My core didn't crap out until after 640 and memory was fine a 1900. I ran a test demo in FEAR at 575 core and 1850 memory with no locks or artifacts at all. A great improvement over an instant crash at any speed over stock before. In fact if I even clicked one of the optimization buttons in nTune it was instant crash of some kind. I know I need to test more but I am encouraged so far. Nice to know my psu may be cutting it after all.

Hrm. Immediately after removing nTune I got in game and crashed again. I restarted and played a game or two fine, but that's the same behavior it'd have before. I could play a few games of source before I'd crash and have to restart.

Also, monitoring temps shows things to be fine while gaming. I'll do a bit more gaming and see if anything changed. My "support ticket" has been escalated to level two support where they try to reproduce the problem themselves. Even if removing ntune fixes it somewhat for me but not fully I'm going to persue this. There's no reason any driver for a videocard should behave like this :/

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes. The only comfort we can all take is that the problem isn't an isolated incident, a lot of people seem to be having the issue. I'm sure quite a few people went mad trying to fix things and might have replaced some components unneccessarily. Oh well.

-Excelsior

Sorry to hear it. my 8800GTX is still in the box waiting to be installed. Looks like nVidia is having alot of issues with this and the 680i chipset.

Excelsior said:
Update:

Got the lovely nv4_disp bsod again.

Things are not cheeky. ****ing fix this already, nVidia! :/

not to beat a dead horse and make you repeat yourself but whats the rest of your setup man?

I get no BSOD with this card on vista or xp pro on a couple diff mobos. maybe we can find a solution? I know its kinda documented but i know so many people with gts/gtx without issue.

Pntgrd said:

The latest version of RivaTuner works, just not with Vista.

The latest version of RivaTuner works, just not with Vista.
I actually found another way. I ditched nTune, installed nHancer to do the driver tweaks, and them ATITools to do the o/c with. Works great so far.

been using my 8800gts a while now....latest xp driver...no BSODs with any games...inc 15 hours of bf2142.... maybe the cards are just showing up a weakness elsewhere in the system? have you tried running everything at stock?

also check to see if its one with the wrong resistor like at launch....

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/417/1/

if I am not mistaken this was causing bsod's apparently, there was a recall the week of launch prior to the actual launch day, was suppoed to be replaced buy a 40 but some folks ended up with a 39 which is ok also and is just gonna result in more power. Check to see if yours is 68 dude...

Back