• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dougan

Hello,
I would like to ask for some advice again. I have a problem with xp, I booted a couple days ago and got windows\system32\config\system is corrupt, so I go through Microsofts "fix" and when I boot the computer says my windows is out of date, but when I try to download updates it fails. Also, I get ikernel.exe fails to run because of an rpc something or other. Anyways, I know a clean install is in order, but there are files and such that I do not want to lose. Argh! Can someone help with this problem, also help me to protect myself from this in the future? Thanks a ton!

I did the recommended microsoft way. Editing registry files and suchforth. Another problem I am having is that when I try to reinstall xp setup tells me my hard drive is not installed. It is a SATA drive, but if I put it in another computer it works just fine. So I cannot even repair windows or install a new product! Argh!

can you give a link to the instructions to what you did?

Did you follow the instructions on how to perform a system restore to a system that is not booting?

okay, thats what I thought. You followed the instructions exactly?

and did part 1, part 2, and part 3?

I did all steps, but when I booted it said this copy of windows is out of date, you need sp2, so I went to d/l sp2 and it said I allready had sp2 installed. I then uninstalled sp2, and now the computer will not boot, it gets to the boots screen and then reboots. I have tried safe mode, last known config and nothing works. So I thought I would do a repair and when I boot the cd it says my hard drive is not installed. Gotta love windows. lol!

ummmm try ubuntu :-j

something must have gone wrong somehwere, i've done that fix many times and it worked for me as well.

I just reinstalled off of a different computer. Thank you for your help!

Back