• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just starting SETI@ home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyleslater

I've never done this type of thing before but a buddy introduced me to in and I kindof like overclocking so I figured I'd join this team.. I currently only have two machines running on it..

X6800 @ 3.5 with 1360 FSB and a T5600 Laptop stock speeds. How much they can do in a day I have no clue.

I'm much better with the overclocking then with the cruching... Also... How soon can we expect a 64 bit version of this and or a version that supports my 8800 GTX as a processor?

BTW I hope you don't mind me using your special avatars... Last I checked it had me @ 57's place. so top 75 should be close enough :D

First of all welcome to the team Kyleslater! :welcome:

I don't have any c2d CPU-s, but from looking at other computers I think your x6800 could pull off atleast 1500credits/day. Not sure about the laptop tough.

For the 64bit version, source code is open so anybody can compile it to use 64bits, there were some attempts but it didn't bring much if any performance boost. Seti uses FPU alot and it simply doesn't benefit from going to 64bits.
As for the 8800, client for it is in development AFAIK. But we don't know yet when it will be released.
Once again welcome to the team, if you have any other questions feel free to ask them. :)

I did follow the opptimization guide and installed the sse3 optimizations. I'm not a programer. And I'm not sure how to tell how many units got processed in a day. No wait...

According to the "statistics" I processed 600 yesterday. And 600 the day before. But that does not count "pending" stuff Or the fact that I rebuilt Vista the first day and spent half the day playing with flight sim . Most of the trouble I have had is due to lack of communication.

Buddy here was saying that overclocking decreases the accuracy of the results and lowers the points Plus I have to figure out how to keep vist from going to sleep... Every second time I look at it it has gone into standby...

So X64 does almost nothing eh? hmm. too bad..

Well my x6800 clocked to 4.2 was turning in 2800 rac, the 64 bit client does nothing yet but it will come. What are you using to cool your cpu.

Currentlly a 9500 AT. But I have a 9700 NT I have yet to install...

Dumb question... The Temps are reported @ 47C but the cores are 59 and 60C respectively... Does that mean I should not volt it up anymore? This C2D overclocking confuses me sometimes...

I don't know that board very good but when I had a P5LD2 I got my 630 to 4.0Ghz pretty easy with stock volts and the cnps 9500.

Definitely get some better cooling before pushing it harder, kyleslater. And welcome to the team from another newbie Seti cruncher.:welcome:

To give you some more data, my e6600 which I presently have only running at 3250 is showing a RAC of over 1500 right now and hasn't stabilized(still climbing) yet since I started crunching Seti with it. When I get in from work next week I will be bumping speed back up some more.

hmm okay... I keep getting a no new tasks error with this. And it fails to add another project. Oh well... I think the 9700 NT might cool just a touch better but I am relly waiting until I get a better case this one is no good..

:welcome: to the SETI community :D enjoy your stay!

Buddy here was saying that overclocking decreases the accuracy of the results and lowers the points Plus I have to figure out how to keep vist from going to sleep... Every second time I look at it it has gone into standby...

Overclocking only decreases the accuracy of results if there is an instability and it processes the unit incorrectly. Generally this is rectified when 2 other people send in "normal" unit results, and label your dud one as "invalid".

The only way I can see this being a problem is if 3 overclocked pcs all sent in invalid results due to incorrect computation, and all 3 results were identical. The chances of that are so remote, its just not going to happen. I wouldnt worry about it.

As for the vista thing.. Im just sorry you have to put up with vista. Im sticking with xppro until theres something better out. But thats a topic for another subforum, hehe. I wont impose my ideas on you :)

Careface*

Careface said:
:welcome: to the SETI community :D enjoy your stay!

Overclocking only decreases the accuracy of results if there is an instability and it processes the unit incorrectly. Generally this is rectified when 2 other people send in "normal" unit results, and label your dud one as "invalid".

The only way I can see this being a problem is if 3 overclocked pcs all sent in invalid results due to incorrect computation, and all 3 results were identical. The chances of that are so remote, its just not going to happen. I wouldnt worry about it.

As for the vista thing.. Im just sorry you have to put up with vista. Im sticking with xppro until theres something better out. But thats a topic for another subforum, hehe. I wont impose my ideas on you :)
Careface*
No sympathy needed :D It was my own choice and I have like three PC's and this one was purchased for vista so I'd have a $5000 paperweight if it was not running vista..
So far I have not had any client errors due to the PC itself... Some due to vista at first but none all of today.

:welcome: to the SETI crunching team! :)

It'll take some time for your results to get up to your true average (RAC) - usually 2-3 weeks. Of course downtime may stretch that out a little. And at that rate it shouldn't take very long to get up there in total points either. ;)

You might want to look at this page: http://boinc.setiatwork.com/team/stats.cgi?teamid=30199
I've found it to be more useful than the team pages you get from the BOINC button.

muddocktor said:
To give you some more data, my e6600 which I presently have only running at 3250 is showing a RAC of over 1500 right now and hasn't stabilized(still climbing) yet since I started crunching Seti with it. When I get in from work next week I will be bumping speed back up some more.
You're running not quite twice as fast as I am (Intels have always been good at number crunching :)) so you should end up at ~2000 RAC for your C2D. By the end of next week at most you should be through all the delays from pending units and have a full week under your belt for averaging ...

Last edited:
eaglescouter said:
A valid overclock does not produce errors. An invalid overclock is unstable and can produce many problems.
Oh ok. Thanks... That is what I thought.
And a week to settle in? ok... Because I know it went from like 150 average points to like 640 or something in two days.
Edit: and it does not show my name at that link you gave me....

kyleslater said:
Edit: and it does not show my name at that link you gave me....
Yes, it does: http://boinc.setiatwork.com/team/stats.cgi?teamid=30199 This list defaults to total points, you're still down in the 200's - number 268 right now but climbing fast. Once you get in full swing you'll climb very fast! :) You can click on any underlined column header to sort it by that column and the plus-in-circle next to your name is interesting, too ...

Last edited:
Oh Ok... cool... Looks like it thinks it got 2700 credits yesterday... Impressive... I guess... Thanks fo the help :D

Back