• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N32-SLI Deluxe Raid0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoPaN

Hi all

I just ordered an A8N32-SLI Deluxe, now im going to be running 2 sataII drives on Rain0. Now on my old A8V I needed a floppy to do the WinXP install, even on a single Sata drive, I think for the new Mobo I dont need a floppy to install a single drive but do I need one to do a 2 drive Raid0 install?

thanks

One last question, what driver should I get for the Raid0 floppy install if I need one?
I could get it now and make the floppy on my old system in preperation for the new mobo.

Hi Lopan,

Good choice on the board :thup: To answer your questions:

Yes, you will need to use the F6 method (floppy) to install the raid drivers for raid~0. Browse the mobo's install cd and look for the raid drivers. Install a blank formatted floppy disk and check "create disk" for winxp. I'm sure you know the rest of the procedure for raid.

The Raid drivers on the disk will do just fine, unless you want the latest, greatest, then go to Asus' website and d/l them. Again you will need to create the floppy disk for the F6 windows installation.

Have fun. You'll like that board. I luv mine.

You are correct, an install disk is only required for a RAID Windows HDD and not needed for SATA only.

Man, 8 minutes! Neb, do you sleep with your computer too ...? ;)

QuietIce said:
You are correct, an install disk is only required for a RAID Windows HDD and not needed for SATA only.

Man, 8 minutes! Neb, do you sleep with your computer too ...? ;)

Hey Que,

Actually yes, yes i do, lol ! I gotta get in on some of this action, you're always beating me to the punch ;)

There are two raid controllers onboard from what I gather? Nvidia Raid and Silicon Image?
If im correct and there are two which is the best one? I have two Western digital 250gig drives to install in Raid0. Aslo how do you switch between them? Do they use the same connectors on the motherboard?

thanks again

I use the Nvidia raid. I get better performance over the silicon image. Noway of switching between the 2. You either use the Nvidia or the Silicon image. You can't use both.

Yes, please use the nVidia RAID! Best bet would be to plug your SATA drives into SATA 1&2 (or you can use SATA 3&4) on lower right-hand side of the motherboard. If you stick with those pairs you can add a non-RAID drive later on and it won't be a problem ...

OK Nvraid it is, do you guys use the Nvidia firewall? I had it on my Nforce 3 motherboard some time ago but it was very problematic.

NO! Under no circumstances use the Nvidia Firewall. it's a pos and will cause issues.

Of course Que is right on target with the SATA mobo connectors :thup:

That stinks, I was hoping they had fixed the firewall on the NF4 mobos, oh well.

Nope. You can always use xp's firewall or get a router with built-in firewall support, eliminates the use of software firewalls :)

Software firewalls sometimes create more problems than they solve and with a LAN they're impossible. :-/

Nebulous said:
Nope. You can always use xp's firewall or get a router with built-in firewall support, eliminates the use of software firewalls :)
That's my favorite option! And you don't have to spend a fortune nowadays to get one. I just took a quick browse through Newegg and they've got a D-link 10/100 w/firewall for ~$35 (w/rebate ;)) ...

Is there any place I can download the NvRaid floppy disk driver creator software? I would like to get ahead of the game and also tear the old stuff out of my PC before my new stuff arrives.

Back