• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel: Interesting Read, 80 Cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm and i found that news on the intel GPU in the works for 08 or 10 irc. i bet there multi gpu in one die will be based on this type of tech. would be interesting to see how everything pans out with this tech.

ChinStrap said:
Isn’t the PS3 based on a floating point core architecture like that (?)
kinda but not really not sure how to describe it. it is a cpu developed by IBM/Sony called the cell cpu. wiether it uses things that intel is talking about is another thing. as i havent seen much "tech" info on the cpu as a whole from them.

wow thats some serious horsepower there and at that wattage... WTF! mabey if there was a multithreaded super pi the cpu would produce negative times :santa: :beer:

nd4spdbh2 said:
the cpu would produce negative times :santa: :beer:

20040615_giga_e.jpg

No matter how powerful Intel makes their CPUs... they're still going to starve their CPUs of memory bandwidth and latency with a 15-year-old architecture. :beer:

That's a crazy number cruncher... they need to make a new folding client.

I'm guessing... 40watts X 80 cores... oh yay. I'll need a 240v,15amp plug for that thing. Good thing I have a few of those monster plugs available. :bday:

Shell said:
No matter how powerful Intel makes their CPUs... they're still going to starve their CPUs of memory bandwidth and latency with a 15-year-old architecture. :beer:

That's a crazy number cruncher... they need to make a new folding client.

I'm guessing... 40watts X 80 cores... oh yay. I'll need a 240v,15amp plug for that thing. Good thing I have a few of those monster plugs available. :bday:

this is true... a c2d with on die memory controler and some ddr2 800 or 1000

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

heck pop in some reverse hyperthreading on top of the on die and we got our selves a deal.

Shell said:

hmm...maybe read the article?

Intel's pointed out that its research chip achieves this same performance on a multi-core chip while consuming only 62 watts – less than many single-core processors today.
;)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
hmm...maybe read the article?
I read the article a while ago... and I totally forgot what it said.
I Have Now Reread it. :beer: And I remembered why it did not catch my interest... not X86 or x64.

I really think that adding more and more cores is the lazy way to make a faster processor, a powerful core architecture is far better, too many cores just leads to multi-threading pains and inefficiency.

But damn... that makes me hunger for more cores, I'm thinking NATIVE CORE 2 OCTOCORE! With On-dye, 256-bit DDR3-EL memory controller! :bday:
It could be done within a shore time! We'd then have the processing power needed to... play Games set to "Uber-Ultra-Freak'en-High", fold proteins, and Spacetime!

Last edited:
Back