• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wire Supplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

Im looking for a website where I can buy 26 Gauge wire, the type that standard computer cables are made of, I cant seem to find anywhere thats straight forward enough to buy online, my local electrical store maplin has some weird way of measuring their wire and I just cant find 26 AWG, the staff arnt that much help as they dont even know what units wire is measured in. I live in UK so a UK website would be preferable or US site that ships Globaly.

thnx

26 gauge, what kind of computer cable are you thinking about? Standard cat-5 network cable is typically 24 gauge (just slightly larger) and can be found very cheap. Would that work for you?

- Jim

sorry I didnt specify more, im looking for 26 gauge for connecting led's and such components, molex wire is usualy around 26 gauge

That's what I was thinking four. Does the UK have a different standard of measurement for wire? 26 gauge is awfully tiny. The only thing I can think of is that the UK uses 240V outlets, right? I'd be curious if the powersuppies in the computers were any different also. I wouldn't imagine they'd be different, but I could be mistaken.

- Jim

well I had a bunch of left over molex cables from an old soldering job and on nearly all of them it was printed 26 AWG, seeing as AWG stands for "American wire gauge" I dont think it would be different from sizes over there.

thnx

Hmm I would suggest going to you local electronics store and picking up a roll of wire that doesn't look to big. I think I used 22 AWG for the last LED wiring project I had and it worked just fine.

Standard PSU wiring is 18 AWG and is pretty thick to try to wire LEDs with.

You don't have to use 26 gauge wire. You could just buy a bunch of CAT5 cable and use that. I've always used solid CAT5 wires for connecting LEDs and such and they work fine.

Back