• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU2 hot on Tyan S2895

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmiejoe

Hello

Not sure if this belongs in cooling, cases, or MB.

I have the following hardware:
Tyan S2895
2X AMD Opteron 252
4X 1GB Registered DDR400
ATI X850 Crossfire Edition
3Ware 9560SE-8PML (8port SATA RAID)
8X Seagate 7200.8 400GB HD
1X Raptor WD740 system HD
CoolMaster Stacker case
CoolMaster 850 SLI PSU
2X AMD PIB heatsinks
3X 4in3 modules

8X HD in 2 lower 4in3 modules
1X HD in top of top 4in3 module

I have the following questions:
1) Should I install the PSU in the top or bottom of the case?
2) Should the PSU fan be located toward or away from the MB?

I installed the PSU at the top with the PSU fan toward the MB. This places CPU2 in the center of the PSU fan and the case exhaust fan. These two fan are 90 degrees to each other with CPU2 center between them. I am noticing that CPU2 at idle is 10-12C hotter than CPU1. CPU1-34C CPU2-44-48C.

CPU1 is located next to the 4in3 module, with the AMD heatsink fins 90degree to the air flow produced by the 4in3 module fan.
CPU2 has the heatsink fins 90 degrees to the exhaust fan, but parallel to the PSU fan.

Any thoughts on what might be going on and how to reduce the temp of CPU2

Any help would be apreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
How high is it exactly?

PS, you might want to ask a mod to move this to the cooling section.

How High

Tonight

CPU1 34C
CPU2 51C
Ambient 28C

PS How do you ask a mod to move the post?

Last edited:
Starting from a cold computer in a cold room.
Going straight to BIOS monitor:

CPU1: 25
CPU2: 33
Ambient: 18

then to:
CPU1: 29
CPU2: 40
Ambient: 21

then to:
CPU1: 30
CPU2: 44
Ambient: 24

go into windows visit ocforum update the post, restart check BIOS temp:
CPU1: 30
CPU2: 47
Ambient: 25

Last edited:
Remount Heatsink

I origianlly installed both heat sinks with AS2, after cleaning them with aceton. I have remounted the heat sink on both CPUs with AS2. No change in the numbers.

MB was RMAed

I ended up RMAing the board to fix the thermal issue, the second NIC issue, and the second PCI-e issue.

I recieved the replacement S2895 board, and now have a new problem.

After loading the OS, I have started having problem starting the system after it is shutdown. It will restart without issue, but 70% of the time is will not start after shutdown. I need to force shutdown several time, then the system will start.

There are no beep codes, and the fans will start an sit at full speed. The video never starts.

Any ideas what might be going on?

oh wow, i missed the original post somehow, was pretty interesting.

say, have you flashed to later bios? seems like the bloody thing is a ball of bugs and glitches.
hope guys in smp section familiar with the board. since it's a new prob., might as well start a new topic there.

BIOS is at 1.04

Seems many people are having issues with 1.05, so i am a little reluctant to do the update.

I will start a new thread as you recommended.

Back